Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please on census lookups

i have had some contact today on my gwinnells and now im left confused

can someone please look at the 1831,1841,1851 census and gwinnells in eastington gloucester shire.i have 1841 and 1851 and im finding it hard to read,on the 1841 there is names i cant read.i know sarah gwinnells father was dead when she married in 1851 but she is on the census at home,so it must have been taken before her marriage,thankyou brenda xxxx

Hi Bren,

There was no 1831 census.

In 1841, William Gwinnell was living with Hesther, Elizabeth, James, Daniel?, Sarah, Emma and William (the 1841 census doesn't say what the relationships are, but judging by the ages, Hesther would be his wife and the others would probably be his children).

In 1851, Hester's a widow, living with her children Emma, William, Thomas and Sarah.

The 1851 census was taken on 30th March, and Sarah Gwinnell was married in the 3rd quarter of 1851 (July-September).

Comment

thankyou mary i was getting confused as i always thought sarah,s mum was hannah and i know my other grandmother her mother was hannah so got confused. can it be confirmed that they were other names on the 1851 ,that i cant read .please brenda xxx

Comment

Beat me to it Mary but did you notice up the page Hannah 75 and Sarah 9 in the same house as Hannah Jennings 64??

Also on the opposite page another gwinnell family William 35 Hannah 30 Ann? 12 Emma 11 Eliza 10 James 8 Alfred 6 Richard 4 Edward?? 2 Esther 8 months.

Sorry Brenda that may have confused it even more.

Comment

I thought that Daniel one was more like Pamela or something. Isn't that the one that's in the female column Mary?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

yes a pamela i am stuck on both these brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by perranmaid View Post
              Beat me to it Mary but did you notice up the page Hannah 75 and Sarah 9 in the same house as Hannah Jennings 64??

Also on the opposite page another gwinnell family William 35 Hannah 30 Ann? 12 Emma 11 Eliza 10 James 8 Alfred 6 Richard 4 Edward?? 2 Esther 8 months.

Sorry Brenda that may have confused it even more.

it is this thats confusing me brenda xxx

Comment

The problem seems to be Brenda, that there are two Sarah's almost the same age.

In 1851 there is also in Easington Hannah aged 86 and Grandaughter Sarah aged 20

Comment

i know just to confuse me lol brenda xxx

Comment

Is Hannah Jennings anything to do with it, cos she is next door to Hannah 86 and Sarah 20 above in 1851 ??

Comment

not sure what you mean brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                        i always thought sarah,s mum was hannah and i know my other grandmother her mother was hannah so got confused. xxx
                        Well I think you are saying that Sarah's Mum was Hannah and that Hannah's Mum was Hannah.

So in 1841 we have Hannah 75, Sarah 9, and Hannah Jennings 64,

Could this be Grandmother, Mother and daughter Sarah.

Whilst 55 seems a bit old to have had a child I don't think it was unheard of.

Is it possible that the Hannah aged 64 remarried at some point?? The ages are all wrong though, could Sarah be Hannah Jennings stepdaughter?? or have I misunderstood what you are saying??

Comment

Working...
                        X