Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 23rd October 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 23rd October 2008 is......

flashieboy!!!!

Well done Ruth (hope I've remembered you name correctly! lol)

*checks watch*

Did the clocks go back already?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

:( possibly

Comment

Did you win the pub quiz?
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Congratulations Ruth hope you get some walls down babe
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Best of luck Ruth, hope you find what your searching for

]

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Did you win the pub quiz?
              No!!!!

Comment

Thank you.

I am sorry I am late responding...I have a 14 year old who insists on giving my computer viruses....and then I have to wait for the 21 year old son to come and fix it.

Anyway here I am.

What I need help with is.

Thomas Marshall born in 1813 in Hemingby Lincolnchire married Charlotte Greenfield in 1833.....they had three daughters Sarah and Mary in 1833 and Ruth in 1835.

Thomas was sent to Tasmania on the Elphinstone in 1836 and it says he had 2 daughters.

I don't know what happened to Ruth......Charlotte applied to come out to Tasmania in 1840 and she had 7 year old twin girls...no mention of Ruth....but she must have been refused permission to come out to Tasmania.

In the 1841 census Charlotte was still living in MInting Lincolnshire but only had one daughter Mary with her.

I can't find any more information on any them......(not Thomas I know where he was)

Thomas went on to marry Eliza Johnson in Tasmania and have heaps more children which I have the information on.

But Eliza Johnsons parents were named Anne and James Newman....I can find a birth record for Anne and James having a daughter Eliza Newman.

But when I applied for Thomas Marshall and Elizas marriage certificate she was Eliza JOhnson....I have no evidence that she ever married other than to Thomas.

Her convict records say she was single when she was sent to Tasmania in 1843 on the Woodbridge.

Eliza was born in Dublin Ireland in abt1826.
                Last edited by flashieboy; 24-10-08, 04:58. Reason: wrong information

Comment

I presume the 1841 census for your Charlotte Marshall with daughter Mary, is the family living in Minting.
                  HO107; Piece 640; Book: 22; Civil Parish: Minting; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 10 11; Folio: 4; Page: 3; Line: 7;

There is a burial on the NBI (National Burial Index) for Ruth Marshall, date of burial 17 Nov 1835, age one week, St. Andrew, Minting.
                  Elaine

Comment

I would say the burial is my Ruth...thanks.

Yes that is the right Charlotte and Sarah...but Sarah has a twin sister Mary and she isn't on the census for 1841

Comment

There is a Sarah Ann Marshall, aged 7, on the 1841 census at Horncastle workhouse (about 7 miles from Minting) - impossible to know if she is connected!

HO107; Piece 637; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Horncastle Allotment; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: Horncastle Union Workhouse; Folio: 45; Page: 2; Line: 7
                      Elaine

Comment

Like you say hard to tell...but I wonder why would one child be there and not the other?

I wonder if Charlotte ever married again.

Comment

I am just looking at possible marriages.
                          Presuming she stayed in the Minting area, then the registration district would be Horncastle.
                          There are two marriages on free BMD for a Charlotte Marshall
                          1847 - Charlotte Marshall / Joseph Wright (cannot find these in 1851 at the moment)
                          1853 - Charlotte Marshall / Joseph Dee - ignore this one - found them in 1861 - Charlotte not right age.
                          Elaine

Comment

1851 census
                            HO107; Piece: 2114; Folio: 148; Page: 4;
                            Mary Marshall born 1834 Minting - occ. servant
                            living in Caistor
                            Lydia Wardale age 46
                            John Wells age 59
                            Elaine

Comment

That would make sense because Thomas received permission to mary Eliza Johnson in July 1846.

Any ideas why Eliza JOhnson went by the name of Johnson when bothe her parents were Newman....The name Newman must have been important to here as her son and Grandson were given it as a middle name.

But all the things I find for here have bothe names but no sign of marriage.....her convict records say her mother was sent to Tasmania they year before her...and possible a sister Mary but I cant read it properly.

Elizas mother (anne) also had 2 sons James11 and Edward 9 when she was sent to Tasmaina.

Comment

1861 - possible for Mary
                                RG9; Piece: 2392; Folio: 58; Page: 9

George Coulson 34
                                Mary Coulson 27 born 1834 Minting
                                William Coulson 6 Mo
                                George Coulson 3
                                Harriett Fletcher 13

IGI
                                George Coulson / Mary Ann Marshall
                                Marriage: 11 MAR 1855 Caistor, Lincoln, England

FreeBMD Mar 1855
                                George Coulson / Mary Ann Marshall
                                Caistor volume 7a page 701
                                Elaine

Comment

1871 census - Mary & George Coulson
                                  RG10; Piece: 3420; Folio: 52; Page: 4

- they have a daughter named Charlotte - maybe named after Mary's mother.
                                  Elaine

Comment

1881 - same family - transcribed as Caulson on Ancestry
                                    RG11; Piece: 3300; Folio: 82; Page: 12
                                    Elaine

Comment

1891 same family
                                      RG12; Piece: 2596; Folio 110; Page 3

and living with them is
                                      Charlotte Wright - born 1813 Muston, Northamptonshire
                                      Joseph Wright - born 1817 Asterby Lincolnshire

- could this be Charlotte Marshall who married Joseph Wright in 1847? (see post #13)

I'll work back on this Charlotte and Joseph to see where they are in 1851-1881
                                      Elaine

Comment

I really appreciate this.....I am an amateur still.

Comment

Working...
                                        X