Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

Date for this photo?

Looking at the above taken in later years, would you think that the lady is the bride in this picture?

Thank you for looking

La plus perdue de toutes les journees est celle ou l'on n'a pas ri
    Chamfort

The most completely wasted of all days are those on which we have not laughed

Top picture 1890s or after?

Yes, I think there is a resemblance in the Bride and the elderly lady...... face-shape and mouth are similar.

The two middle photos are perhaps mid-1940s - or just pre-war?
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Thank you Dorothy

Top picture, yes I think so too, 1890s plus a few years maybe?

My "newly found" cousin (from FTF I hasten to add) and I are thinking it's possibly a wedding picture of my Grandparents. Her Grandad was the best man at their wedding, he's sitting on the extreme right, bottom row.

Gosh you're on the ball Yep that's me on the left at the age of 4 in 1948 and the picture on the right is my cousin also with Grannie.

Very strange coincidence, my second cousin and I look very much alike from the photos we've exchanged.

Wow!!

Chamfort

Comment

Glad that helped Cherry!

I've got one of me with an aunt taken at a similar time mid-late 40's, except you and your cousin are lucky - you've got nice straight hair, whereas mine is a mass of ringlets ggrrrrr!:( (and still tends to go that way now if it's damp - double grrrrr!!
        Dorothy G

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
          Glad that helped Cherry!

I've got one of me with an aunt taken at a similar time mid-late 40's, except you and your cousin are lucky - you've got nice straight hair, whereas mine is a mass of ringlets ggrrrrr!:( (and still tends to go that way now if it's damp - double grrrrr!!
          Lol Dorothy you don't know how many hours of torture I had to bear with my Mum putting in those rag rollers! My cousin was far more fortunate, Aunty Connie just used to let it be and Janet had the most magnificent plait that reached down to her waist when she was 18. Was I jealous, no not much, lol, she was dark, I was blonde and to cap it all she was 13 years older than me,

I did manage to stop flouncing about when she married a German Vicar and upon leaving England gave me her adored teddy bear and all her books. Lol, how shallow was I!!

Chamfort

Comment

Ooooh Cherry - a long plait!! :( really green with envy now! All the girls at school had plaits - and me - I had ringlets! My hair didn't, and still doesn't grow either fast or very long.

I've just seen you're in Eastbourne - I was born there! (Not there now though)
            Dorothy G

Comment

Wow, look at those hats!

I would say that the bottom pic looks Edwardian. I think Ancestry have pages on what was worn when. Might be worth a look.

Laura

Comment

I would agree with Laura in regards to the wedding group having been taken during the Edwardian period for a number of reasons. To date this properly one has to ignore the men in the photograph and to concentrate on only what the women are wearing. With this in mind the dating period that I believe that this photograph was taken in falls somewhere between 1902/3 and 1911. This is a long period I know but if I expand on my reasoning then you you can see why I have placed this study within that time frame.
                The first thing that strikes me, other than the mulitude of hats, is that there does not appear to be a bodice in sight and that all the ladies shown are either dressed in full loose dresses or a combination of a blouse and skirt (where I have said "loose dresses" this is against the restrictions of the tight bodice, the S and Wasp shape of the waist area -which was formed with the introduction of a new corset in 1901/02 and by 1907 had all but disappeared- and also the form and fall of the skirt of the previous decade). All the women have high necklines which was common during the Edwardian period and although some women in certain circles still wore the high collar in the latter stages of Edward's reign this style had diminished and a flatter collar started to be introduced into women's fashion from about 1907/08. The hairstyle (what can be seen of it) that the women have is that of the loose Pompadour which came into fashion from about 1897 and lasted until 1910 or there abouts. This was replaced for a period of time by a much looser style until even this was replaced by the requirements of the type of work carried out by women during the 1st ww which ment that a short style started to creep in. Then you have the hats. from 1903 hats started to change dramatically. Although the toque was worn by many up until the 1st ww (when I say many this was, as a general rule to mean the elderly woman who had not really changed fashions), and the once popular bonnet had, by the turn of the century, started to be on the decline and was being worn less and less. The hat on the other had been growing in popularity and by 1897 the crown was small in size whilst the brim was either narrow or wide. However from the early 1900's the crown was beging to gain in height and the brim was slowly extending until it reached its greatest width by 1911 when it had extended out to the width of the shoulders. After 1911 and edging into 1912 the brim started to reduce in size and smaller hats started to return. It was during this period (1903-1911) that brim styles not only changed by length but also by design. hats with brims that turned up at the back only and projected itself at the front was in vogue during the period of 1903 to 1906, and by 1907 the brim had started to level out all around and were now being worn flat. Like I say an exact date would be impossible with all the different styles shown in this one photograph which is why I have plumped for the period that I have stated.

don

Comment

Thank you for all that information Don, so very interesting.

My paternal Grandma (1887) was a Court dressmaker and one of her sisters was a milliner. I asked Grandma to show me how the "pompadour" hairdo was achieved and she demonstrated that firstly one had to have a band of rags rolled into a circle, it was then placed firmly on the head and the hair swept up and tucked into it.

"Surely you didn't have to do that every day did you Grandma?"

"Oh yes, a lady's hair was her crowning glory and if it looked a bit fausty then you rinsed it in tea if you were dark and put lemon juice on it if you were blonde"

Bless 'em

Chamfort

Comment

put lemon juice on it if you were blonde"

yes, good old remedy that one - I find that good too, especially if my hair is a bit greasy, or I finish it off with a cup of lemon juice (or vinegar) and water, when washing it. I remember my mother doing it when she washed my hair. Excessive use of lemon juice though will definitely lighten the hair!
                    Dorothy G

Comment

Lol Dorothy I think we suffered greatly what with the rag rollers and the rinses in lemon juice and vinegar:D

Can't imagine any young daughter putting up with that nowadays, unless of course she'd read it on the internet:D

Chamfort

Comment

Ah Cherry - my problem was, and is, my hair is naturally curly!! So I don't have a choice! :( (Apart from straighteners, which are a bit drastic.

Anyway, hope you have sorted your photo question out
                        Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                        X