Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately seeking Donald

Hi
    If anyone is up for a challenge I would welcome some help with this brick wall.

Donald Limmer appeared out of nowhere at the Register Office Sculcoates on the 5th July 1915 when he married Emily Cotton. I can find no records of him ever having existed before this date. Details from the marriage certificate are
    Donald Limmer age 38/Bachelor/Insurance Agent/ 88 Selby St Hull/ Father George Limmer (deceased) Tool Manufacturer.
    Emily Cotton age 22/Spinster/no occupation/88 Selby St Hull/Father Arthur James Cotton Cycle maker. Witnesses Lizzie McConnell & Hettie Jones.
    In September 1915 their first child was born. I cannot give the details of their other two children because they are still living.
    Emily Limmer (nee Cotton) died in 1974 age 82

Donald died in South Africa in 1929. His death certificate from South Africa records his date of death as 20 Feb 1929 at age 54 years and 5 months and his place of birth as ‘Horwick’ This could be a transcription error for Norwich where family thinks he originated from although there is a Horwick in Lancashire.
    This would place his date of birth as: approx Oct 1874 and not 1877/8 as per his marriage certificate. His death certificate also says that he had a surviving spouse: Martha Annie Limmer and that the marriage took place in London. It also records that he had no children.

I have found Donald on two outgoing passenger lists to South Africa and one incoming passenger list to the U K.
    On 3rd March 1922 D Limmer age 45 insurance inspector from Southampton to Natal.
    Last address 18 Colquett St Liverpool.
    On 8th December 1924 Donald Limmer (Limoner) age 49 insurance inspector from Durban to Southampton Incoming address 21 Chatham Rd Norbiton Surrey.
    On 2nd January 1925 D Limmer age 49 insurance inspector from Southampton to East London South Africa. Last address 16 Coombe Rd Norbiton Surrey.

This is a photo of Donald taken in about 1920. I have also posted this on the Photos forum.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated
    Moggie

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
    his place of birth as ‘Horwick’ This could be a transcription error for Norwich where family thinks he originated from although there is a Horwick in Lancashire.
    I think the place in Lancashire is Horwich, not Horwick. Does it definitely say Horwick on the certificate?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI
      The information from the death certificate was passed on to me by one of Donald's descendants so I can't say for certain if it said Horwich or Horwick. I have just looked on genuki and there appears to be a Horwich & a Horwick in Lancashire. Not much help I'm afraid.
      Moggie

Comment

I just looked at freeBMD and saw three births for Limmer, mmn Cotton. If these are Donald's three children, there's not much time for a remarriage to someone else before he died is there? (obviously I don't know if I'm looking at the right births though.....the last one is in Q3 1928.

Comment

Hi Merry
          Yes you do have the right births. Emily (nee Cotton) outlived Donald and died in 1974 so we may be thinking bigamy!!!
          Moggie

Comment

Is this his second wife? It states her place of residence as SA.

Martha Limmer 55 abt 1874 10 Jun 1929 Departure Port Brisbane, Australia Arrival Port Southampton, England

What date did he die in 1929? When you say the death cert said he didn't have children, do you mean with wife No 2, or at all??

Comment

Not just bigamy if he was still having children with wife number one! He may have been living a complicated life! lol

Do you know if he left a will?

Comment

is this someone else?
                marriage

Ellen F Dye 1920 Lim_Er Norwich Norfolk
                Donald W Limmer 1920 Dye Norwich Norfolk

Looks like 2 childrn to that Marriage
                Donald & Sheila
                Jess

Comment

What date did he die in 1929?
                  Oops, you said! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                    is this someone else?
                    marriage

Ellen F Dye 1920 Lim_Er Norwich Norfolk
                    Donald W Limmer 1920 Dye Norwich Norfolk

Looks like 2 childrn to that Marriage
                    Donald & Sheila
                    You would think that was him too, wouldn't you Jess? After all, how many Donald's are there before 1900??! lol

I wonder if he began life as plain William, or whatever the W stood for? (if it's him)

Comment

Oops, no.....I think that marriage should be Donald Walter Limmer b 1894!

Comment

There is a birth registration for a Donald Walter Limmer on free BMD - which is probably the marriage Jess has found.

Births Mar 1894
                        Limmer Donald Walter Ely 3b 550
                        Elaine

Comment

Maybe these two Donalds are related? Uncle/nephew or cousins?

Donald Walter is the son of Wm b 1862ish in Norfolk East Ren??? something! lol

Comment

And William born 1862 is the son of William b c1832 Poole Dorset
                            RG10; Piece: 1799; Folio: 83; Page: 10;
                            Elaine

Comment

and William b 1862 is the son of William b Poole Dorset in about 1832, so no George's showing up. This family are of the clerks/solicitors sort of type (I hate to say class! lol) which would fit with Donald's (your Donald's) occ.

If you can't get anywhere with your Donald, I would do the extended tree of the other Donald on the offchance a George turns up who went out of the country himself. There's a lot of Simmer transcriiptions for this family.

Sorry, the potatoes are boiling over!

Comment

No Donald appearing as a sibling.
                                No, but dad wants to be George not William, so we need cousins! lol

Comment

doh! *pours another glass of wine!*
                                  Elaine

Comment

We have a George Limmer on this one (1841)
                                    HO107; Piece 761; Book: 17; Civil Parish: Coltishall; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 17 18; Folio: 6; Page: 6; Line: 7;

possible sibling to William mentioned earlier - only problem is states born Norfolk not Dorset!
                                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 23-10-08, 16:52.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Forget that one at the moment - am confusing myself with too many windows open!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Hi
                                        This is the info that I have for Donald Walter Limmer.
                                        He was born in 1894 at Ely parents William & Millicent. He married twice and ended up with a third wife, no marriage found. Must be something about the name Donald. His first wife was Ellen Dye who he married in 1920.
                                        The Donald that I am trying to trace who married Emily Cotton had a son Donald in 1915 who married a Mary Alcock in 1940.
                                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X