Mini Breakthorough on Gt Grandmother Pigott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Breakthorough on Gt Grandmother Pigott

As most of you know (and are bored to distraction and often have to hasten to darkened rooms :o) I have a mighty brick wall who is one of my maternal Gt Grandmothers - Granny Pigott.

I have my grandfather's birth cert (copy of it from Dublin records office) which states that the name of his mother is Mildred Pigott nee Gailey - well it isn't!

She is called Sarah according to the 1901 census from Co Kildare and there is with her 9 month old son Owen and husband Frank (Francis) + 2 servants. She is originally from Co Donegal.

How do you get from Sarah to Mildred and why would you want to be known as Mildred?:o How much trust do I now put in the surname Gailey? when the christian name seems to be so far out.

Also were the ages rounded on 1901 Irish census as Frank is down as 40 but he was definitely born 1858. Sarah is down as 30.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Well, census names are often the name they were known by instead of their real name, and names on certificates are more often the "official" name, so it could be that her real name was Mildred but she called herself Sarah.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I would be getting Owen's cert to check they both had the same mother! lol

Comment

Unless Owen is Bo's grandfather?
        KiteRunner

Comment

Owen is my grandfather and his birth was not registered by a family member but by a medical officer.
          Bo

Comment

In that case, it could well be the birth certificate that is wrong. Maybe s/he got her confused with another mother?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Ah, sorry! lol

Do you know for definite that she didn't die in childbirth or anything like that?

Did they have any other children?

Comment

Sorry for not getting back - been pootling around Hampshire. However in my pootling I've come across another piece of info which in its own way is even more confusing.

Family story relates (and this is from my grandfather) that his mother died in child birth the year after he was born (1900) i.e 1901/1902 and that the baby boy also died. My Grandfather spent his childhood with Aunts in England.

However my third cousin who I met on Friday showed me a file that had been put together by yet another cousin and in it was a press cutting of a 1908 family wedding that lists all the people that invitations were sent to. In the list is Mr and Mrs Frank Pigott - which suggests to me that she had not yet died. She had (allegedly) died by 1911 as when Frank remarried that year he was down as widower.
                Bo

Comment

Could he have had another wife in between?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Could there be another Frank Piggott? Or maybe he had a 'friend' that got called Mrs on the invite for want of a better term?
                    Kit

Comment

i would think that sarah died around 1902, or just before 1911. frank could have had three wives in total. have you looked for a death cert for her?

Comment

Working...
                      X