• Show
Clear All

• Lost before 1871

Can anyone spot the following in any pre '71 census please,
    all born St Peters Port, Guernsey

William Thorbon abt 1801
    Mary Thorbon abt 1803
    Martha Thorbon abt 1809

I have William in the '41, in Norfolk, he is a mariner so i'm guessing he must be at sea in the '51 and '61 census returns.

Link to the '81 given below
    - Ancestry.co.uk
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 23-10-08, 10:45.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

1861 Channel Isles
    RG9; Piece: 4381; Folio: 39; Page: 5; GSU roll: 543276.
    transcribed as Thorton
    Elaine

Comment

1851 Channel Isles
      HO107; Piece: 2530; Folio: 57; Page: 7; GSU roll: 105980.
      transcribed as Thorban
      Elaine

Comment

??? 1841 Channel Isles
        HO107; Piece 1460; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Peter Port; County: Guernsey; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 7; Page: 8; Line: 11; GSU roll: 464352.
        transcribed as Thornton
        Elaine

Comment

1851 Class: HO107; Piece: 2530; Folio: 57; Page: 7;
          St Peter Port (on Ancestry)
          William Thorban 52
          Mary Ann Thorban 48
          Martha Thorban 43

Edit: At the great Wild West Shoot-Out, Elaine has the fastest trigger fingers!
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks very much, i have gone through so many variants of the surname over the last few days on freereg stuff but couldn't get anywhere on the census at all.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I searched by just the name - Martha Tho* - no other details - and then viewed the Channel Isle returns only.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I have done so many searches on freereg and found so many variants of the name, the irony is that Thorban is one i haven't tried for ages and a couple of certs look like that variant even when read closely.

Just off to grab the images and add them to FTM as part of a floating family.

I still can't update my homepage either apart from text, shame really as i have loads of new names to add.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Didn't know you were having problems with your home page Glen - how long has it been going on for. I last updated mine on 4th October - without any problem.
                  Elaine

Comment

Absolutley months and months, close to a year now i think.

I can add images and change the homepage text but if i update the names or notes etc it goes through the process but won't add anything, the last update "date" was my last attempt but nothing new was actually added.

Most of the new stuff relates to the Goulson family, but probably half the names i have are "new" and not on the site, ditto the stuff about the OBE/DSO award to FJ Goulson, there is nothing on my site at all for him.

Apparently i have duplicate accounts (genealogy.com forum details are different to my FTM page login) and they can't seem to sort it properly. My last update created an entirely new site with no names, contact info or images, to access my page i have to get in via google, it doesn't even link to my FTM anymore. It's something to do with the registry but since changing to Vista i haven't even tried to sort it out, the reg-edit process went so awry on XP that i haven't tried on Vista yet.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Sounds as if you have some real problems there! :(
                      Elaine

Comment

It's simple enough to do but for me it didn't work!!. All i can remember is that it's a slighty different process with Vista but basically it's just replacing the old number with a new one.

Genealogy.com send full instructions and a new registry number, something like 15 digits long(?)

Basically locate the relevant file and delete the old number and via c&p replace with the new one, login to the page and update as normal.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Back to my original query

The grandson in 1871 onwards seems to swap his pob and surname around,

the 1901 index has him transcribed as born Germany..........shame it says Guernsey quite clearly, occupation is Bankers Clerk?

- Ancestry.co.uk

The early returns show Mary and Martha are down as annuitants or living of a fund, William down as house and fund manager, wonder if the "grandson" was named in a will and where a Channel Island will would be kept if one exists?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

This site might help Glen
                            Society of Genealogists - Channel Islands Resources
                            Elaine

Comment

I reckon a lot of the SoG stuff is index listings, i might have a bit of luck with a possible mistranscription of the surname in a burial listing, looks like a few e-mail enquiries though.........not exactly cheap search costs either:(

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                              X