Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine Pope

Good Morning All

For a while now, I have been trying to trace my Catherine Pope (Darley) on census or for a death/remarriage etc with no joy and wondered if gave the details that I have, someone may be able to point me in the right direction?

Catherine Pope was born in 1867 in Sunderland, daughter of Joseph Pope and Mary Ann Bowen who after two more children, moved to Sheffield where they had another 11 children (most died). They lived in the Brightside area of Sheffield.

Catherine married George Darley at Christ Church, Attercliffe, Sheffield on the 8th October 1883. She was 17 and he was 20 and the son of Henry Darley.

It is after this marriage that I can find no further trace of either Catherine or George.

Would anyone be able to give me any pointers at all?

Kind Regards

Do you know for sure that they stayed in England, Claire, or could they have emigrated?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you k now if they had any children?
      Tracy

Comment

Hi Both

I thought that emigration could have been a possibility but there is no family rumour to say they did. Its something I should check out though.

I have found no trace of any children of George and Catherine. Again, very little is known about Catherine so no one in the family knows if she did or did not have any.

I am very sorry that little is known about this lady.
        Kind Regards

Comment

I thought I'd find George Darley on the 1881 census. The obvious match was one born and living in Sheffield (not with parents, b 1862/3) but when I traced his back to the 1871 census his father was Joseph, not Henry!

Do you have an occupation for George and Henry?

Comment

Oh, and the marriage witness names?

Comment

There's a possible marriage for a Catherine Darley in 1885 to a George Fairfax:

Marriages Jun 1885
              Darley Catherine Sheffield 9c 637
              Fairfax George Henry Sheffield 9c 637
              Gray Polly Sheffield 9c 637
              TURNER Henry Sheffield 9c 637

I can't see the couple in 1891, but I've found them in 1901. I don't think it's Catherine née Pope, because she says she was born in Sheffield, but she might be George Darley's sister, because in 1881 her father's Henry. I haven't gone any further back so far.

I've had a quick look for emigrations on Ancestry and FMP, but I can't see them.

Comment

I've looked at that Henry Darley in 1871 and 1881 and he doesn't seem to have a son called George. Also he's a bit young at 24 in 1871 to have a son of around 8.

That Henry seems to be the only candidate though (for father) so that's why I wondered about occs and witnesses!

Comment

Hi All

Sorry for the late reply...I am at work at moment.

Both George and Henry were listed as steel melters. The cert is at home and cannot remember both witnesses off top of my head but pretty sure they were members of George' family.

I saw that marriage of Catherine Darley in 1885 and thought she had remarried pretty quickly, but then found no death for George and no entries that suited that marriage and Catherine.

I do tend to have a lot of rellies and their spouses in my tree that give their father's name a different first name to what they turn out to be...very frustrating :(

Many thanks for taking time to look

Comment

I think George Darley son of Joseph (ie the one who was the right age and living in Sheffield in 1881, but had the wrong dad) married a Beatrice between 1881 and 1891, so that probably puts him out of the picture.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure which is your George Darley before his marriage, but I've found him with Catherine in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 3837; Folio 14; Page 22

Comment

Have you got Mary Ann Pope (Joseph's widow) in 1901?? The Darleys are in the same house! lol Unfortunately Cathering has died though:

RG13; Piece: 4382; Folio: 22; Page: 35

Comment

It would seem somewhere along the line their name may have been changed to Darby (or the marriage cert is wrong! lol)

Kate's death:

Name: Catherine Darby
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
                          Year of Registration: 1900
                          Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
                          Age at Death: 33
                          District: Sheffield
                          County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
                          Volume: 9c
                          Page: 399

Bertha (the youngest dau) was also registered as a Darby. I haven't looked at the other children. The census records could be either, to be honest!

Darley and Darby don't come up together with a soundex search :(

Comment

Oooh look!

Henry Darby and his son George in 1871!

RG10; Piece: 4698; Folio: 43; Page: 18

and his birth:

Births Jun 1863
                            DARBY George Sheffield 9c 385

I'm thinking they were Darbys all along and the marriage record was misread.

Comment

The other two children:

Births Dec 1884
                              Darby Alfred Sheffield 9c 593

Births Mar 1891
                              Darby Francis Sheffield 9c 615

Comment

Merry...you are a star!!!

Thank you so much for this. I was sure I had seen Mary Ann Pope on the 1901 census but this was a good few years ago and never printed it off for some reason.

The marriage record was printed from the original parish records and it definately read as Darley but agree with you, I am thinking they were Darby all along now.

I am a bit sad to see that Catherine died but at least I can put closure to her now.

Thank you again.

Comment

Ah, well done, Merry

Comment

mmm...I have just checked the NBI for a burial for Catherine Darby via the family history online website and she is burried in two places!

Both seem likely places for her burial :(

Comment

lol These two?

6 Jun 1900 Catherine DARBY 33 Yorks W/R Sheffield, Attercliffe Christ Church
                                      6 Jun 1900 Catherine DARBY 33 Yorks W/R Sheffield, Tinsley Park Municipal Cemetery

Maybe there was a church service at Christ Church followed by a burial at the cemetery?

Comment

Lol Merry, yes, those two. Knowing most of Catherine's siblings who died in infancy were burried at Tinsley Park and so were her parents, my gut instinct is that she is there as well.

I think you are right about the church service and then burial at cem.

Comment

Working...
                                        X