• Show
Clear All

• Lincolnshire and Fenland Families

Just wondered whether this might be any help to anyone

Lincolnshire and Fenland Families

Have just added it to the Wiki
    Joan died in July 2020.

Thanks for that Joan.
    I have found the one and only Osler on there and they relate to my hubby!!
    Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

Would you believe me if I told you that on that link I found my entire Marshall family.....there are 1700 of them...now I just need to put it all together.

There is no doubt it is my family as they list some born in Tasmania.

So Joan...here is a big big hug for you.....Thankyou...thank you....thank you.

Comment

I was in contact with Jacky who runs that site several years ago as she has a lot of info about my husband's family.I actually made contact with her initially through GR! She is extremely helpful if you need to contact her and she is also very grateful for anything you can tell her which she can add to the site.It's a wonderful resource and we are extremely grateful to her for sharing her research with us

Ann
        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

It's more of a OWT for Lincolnshire, there are over 156,000 names in total.

Be very very wary though;

I can see family X married to family Y on there, whilst the surnames are correct the entire set of entries for family Y are wrong, all based on the wrong Mary..... (it's one of my direct lines and easy for me to spot the error, it must be mainly census based entries for that lot and i just know that the vital (correct) Mary in 1891 hasn't been found).
          The correct family Y would link straight to one of my rare surnames too and there isn't one of them on there at all.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks again Anne. I will get in touch with her soon when i get some peace in this mad house.
            Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              It's more of a OWT for Lincolnshire, there are over 156,000 names in total.

Be very very wary though;

I can see family X married to family Y on there, whilst the surnames are correct the entire set of entries for family Y are wrong, all based on the wrong Mary..... (it's one of my direct lines and easy for me to spot the error, it must be mainly census based entries for that lot and i just know that the vital (correct) Mary in 1891 hasn't been found).
              The correct family Y would link straight to one of my rare surnames too and there isn't one of them on there at all.
              Contact Jacky and explain it to her Glen. I'm sure she would be grateful.

Ann
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

How very ungracious of Glen in Tinsel Knickers (what is that all about!? - or is it wiser not to ask)- it would have been more helpful if the error were pointed out instead of making sweeping assertions about being wary about my efforts.

It is comments like that which make people "wary" of sharing their research.

Jacky Clark

Comment

Originally posted by linclincks View Post
                  How very ungracious of Glen in Tinsel Knickers (what is that all about!? - or is it wiser not to ask)- it would have been more helpful if the error were pointed out instead of making sweeping assertions about being wary about my efforts.

Jacky Clark
                  Jacky

You seem to have taken the comment personally, can i therefore ask do you verify the accuracy of all the information supplied before posting it online?

If not then my comment is not a sweeping assertion, it merely highlights that every online site and online tree has the potential to contain information which may or may not be accurate. The collecting and display of information is not the problem, the fact that information is accepted without question and then passed on later is however a reason that many trees contain errors.

The error has been pointed out to the assorted people (tree owners) who have the tree online across several sites but no tree has ever been amended that i can see. Each tree is identical and contains the same errors, either the information has been shared unchecked or the research techniques used do not include certificates.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Jacky Clark
                    I think it's fair to say that Glen isn't usually ungracious. I haven't visited your site yet, but it's obviously a good resource from what others in this thread have said.

I'd guess that from Glen's perspective, if he does see something he knows to be wrong, it does make sense to let others know that there may be weaknesses. Indeed, as with any research, it always makes sense to follow it up yourself to make sure that you're picking up what you think you're picking up.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I certainly do not buy certificates for everyone in my datatabase - but make every effort to verify information by sight of Parish Records, the Census, Wills etc. on certain individuals within my database there is a note that the entry is speculative pending verifification.

I have a note on my website (Lincolnshire and Fenland Families) asking for any errors to be pointed out and another note on the Rootsweb page advising individuals to personally verify data.

If I had ever heard from "Glen in Tinsel Knickers" pointing out a possible error, it would have been dealt with - so how about telling me now?

Jacky Clark

Comment

Jacky,

I have been on your website and very interested in the names Dryden and Cope. I note that you have living Dryden and nothing in between the living ones and the Drydens of Canons Ashby. Have you got those missing links and how did you find the link between yours and going back to Canon Ashby?

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 08:04.

Comment

Hello Janet - the living Drydens are descendants of a John Dryden of Scotland who married one of my distant cousins.

As to the Drydens of Canons Ashby and the Poet, I had not engaged my brain. My interest was in Bridget, sister of Erasmus who married into the Marbary family. Most of that information picked up from Harlian Lincolnshire Pedigrees. It certainly looks an interesting line to follow for there seem to be Howard links too

I am sure there is some more data in a volume of Extinct Baronets I have and will see if I can dig it out (my bookshelves are two deep - must sort them out).

I have a few stray Copes who marry into Lincolnshire Families - Ann who married John Heneage and another Ann who married Kenelm Digby.

This I am afraid wont help you find your Ann - I have acres of Lincolnshire records but nothing of substance for Northants.

I wonder if the Harlian Society did a Northampton Pedigrees?

Bestregards

Jacky

Comment

Jacky

Thank you for your reply. I belong not only to Northants FHS, but also to the Northants Record Society, which I find very useful as my family are rooted very strongly into Northants, with a few strays into Rutland/Hunts/Beds and maybe Leicestershire. I have trawled the nearby parishes without any success. I will have a look at the Harleian Society. Thank you.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 08:05.

Comment

Hi Jacky,

I believe we've had contact before over past years (Roots and Genes). My interest in Lincolnshire comes from Heckington and surrounding villages. I've had a quick look and can see you are updating. You've several of my family with the rare surname Struggles from Heckington. I notice you have some recorded as being in Ruskington, which is interesting as I wasn't aware of these. I'm also connected to the Thacker family. You may or may not know some went to America and did very well for themselves.
                              David

I
                              Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

I certainly do not buy certificates for everyone in my datatabase - but make every effort to verify information by sight of Parish Records, the Census, Wills etc. on certain individuals within my database there is a note that the entry is speculative pending verifification.

I have a note on my website (Lincolnshire and Fenland Families) asking for any errors to be pointed out and another note on the Rootsweb page advising individuals to personally verify data.

If I had ever heard from "Glen in Tinsel Knickers" pointing out a possible error, it would have been dealt with - so how about telling me now?

Jacky Clark
                                So not only is my comment not a sweeping assertion as you claim, (by your own admission the entries for certain individuals are checked against documents) it overlaps your own comment re advising people to personally verify the data.

Highlighting the differences between the info that has been submitted and my findings has been done before directly with the tree owners, however they do not seem willing or able to re-check and amend their information in the light of my research and documents but they remain quite happy to keep submitting the incorrect tree to online sites, the most recent has appeared on Ancestry within the last six weeks. If one of them had bothered to respond and refute my claims then fair enough but they choose to ignore a potential source of information, my tree is online across several sites, (both commercial and personal sites), contact is invited and my e-mail or a method of contact is made available on each one. Sharing information isn't a problem to me but correcting the online submissions of others who have for whatever reason declined my messages is no longer a priority and something i stopped doing some time ago.
                                Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 05-12-08, 19:52.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You said that you have contacted tree owners - in your message you said that the error was in my database (hence me taking it personally) I repeat again - you have never contacted me about an error in my database - which I own.

If I have made an error I am more than pleased to put it right- but I am not mystic meg and I need to know who you are talking about in order to do that.

I think I give up - totally pointless

Jacky Clark

Comment

Originally posted by poytheboy View Post
                                    Hi Jacky,

I believe we've had contact before over past years (Roots and Genes). My interest in Lincolnshire comes from Heckington and surrounding villages. I've had a quick look and can see you are updating. You've several of my family with the rare surname Struggles from Heckington. I notice you have some recorded as being in Ruskington, which is interesting as I wasn't aware of these. I'm also connected to the Thacker family. You may or may not know some went to America and did very well for themselves.
                                    My Great Grandmother was Emma Thacker 1863 of Mareham le Fen - I have a childhood memory of my Gran receiving parcels from the USA from Thackers.

The reason I remember so well is that everthing was always wrapped in brightly coloured cotton - which were apparently flour sacks - which of course as a child puzzled me.

I dont think William and Ann Struggles stayed long in Ruskington - I haveyet to find Ann's surname and tthe marriage.

Bestregards

Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                      Jacky

Thank you for your reply. I belong not only to Northants FHS, but also to the Northants Record Society, which I find very useful as my family are rooted very strongly into Northants, with a few strays into Rutland/Hunts/Beds and maybe Leicestershire. My Ann Cope married into the Noble Family in 1762 and was OTP on marriage, but there is no trace of her baptism in the village. I have found an Ann Cope baptised Thurning 1738 to a William Cope which time frame is correct, but I cannot connect with any certainty into this family. I have trawled the nearby parishes without any success. Several of my ancestors worked for the Dudley family, one was a hemp dresser in the
                                      1690's, flax industry, which could possibly mean some fen connection, as they disappear from Northants about 1620. I will have a look at the Harleian Society. Thank you.

Janet
                                      Have you tried Wills at Northampton RO?

Jacky

Comment

[QUOTE=Highlighting the differences between the info that has been submitted and my findings has been done before directly with the tree owners, however they do not seem willing or able to re-check and amend their information in the light of my research and documents but they remain quite happy to keep submitting the incorrect tree to online sites, the most recent has appeared on Ancestry within the last six weeks. If one of them had bothered to respond and refute my claims then fair enough but they choose to ignore a potential source of information, my tree is online across several sites, (both commercial and personal sites), contact is invited and my e-mail or a method of contact is made available on each one. Sharing information isn't a problem to me but correcting the online submissions of others who have for whatever reason declined my messages is no longer a priority and something i stopped doing some time ago.[/QUOTE]

I believe I have found your tree and perhaps the following might be useful to you

1. Martha Dawson was the daughter of Joseph Dawson and Elizabeth - not John and Ann - she married Daft Pogson 10 July 1866 in Horncastle

2. Benjamin Tindall was the son of John Tindall and Mary Winter. The latter were married at Metheringham on 1 Jul 1844 at Metheringham. She was buried Feb 1861 at Metheringham. John was son of John Tindall and Sarah Quibell. Mary was the daughter of Michael Winter

The only family lines where as far as I know we have commonality are Daft, Pogson and Tindall.

3. Are you ready to tell me where my error of family X and Y is

Jacky
                                        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-12-08, 23:43. Reason: unnecessary comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X