• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 & 1851 census lookup please

Hi,
    Please could someone lookup on the 1841 and 1851 census for
    William ESGAR.
    I've just read in the Gale free trail newspapers that this man was attacked in 1846 by someone that may have been one of my ancestors. (Samuel Elms)
    The article was in a Bristol newspaper, so he could either be in Bristol, or somewhere in Somerset - possibly High Littleton.
    I'm trying to find out where he lived and hopefully find out which Samuel Elms attacked him! (I had a few Samuel's in my family)

Jan

Okay, I've got a William Esgar, born in Long Ashton, Somerset in 1802, living in Bedminster in 1841 with wife Charlotte and son Robert. And in 1851 they're still there with his niece, 3-year-old Sarah Willey.

Laura

Comment

Thanks very much Laura.
      I can rule him out then, as its not the right area for my family.

Jan

Comment

Having looked at the GRO indexes, I can't see there's another William Esgar to choose from! lol

Comment

I take that back! It would seem an alternative spelling is Isgar!!

Comment

Hey Merry - I was going to put up a message for you tonight!
            Remember all the help you gave me with my Richard Elms and Emma Moore Barry Chard thread you helped me with a while ago?
            Well because of that, a lady called Judy joined the site, after doing a google search for Emma's name - turns out that her husband is related to Emma, and Judy has just written tonight and given me lots of information about Emma and her family that I didnt know about.
            I'm thrilled to bits with it all! And its all down to you for helping me - so a VERY BIG thankyou to you.

Thanks also for looking for William Elsgar for me - but I've ruled him out as he lived in Bedminster - not my area!

Jan

Comment

Isgar/Somerset

IGI has some suggestions
              Jess

Comment

I was looking at Isgar entries in Clutton district (for High Littleton) and found a William who had his children born in High Littleton, but not until after his wedding in 1871 (I looked for Percy b 1874 in 1881). I wondered if this man's father had a contact with High Littleton in the past. Unfortunately when I went back to look at William as a child, he wasn't with his parents :(

Comment

Just a thought ,Bedminster is now part of Bristol, and Long Ashton only about 3 miles from Bristol

Comment

Remember all the help you gave me with my Richard Elms and Emma Moore Barry Chard thread you helped me with a while ago?
                    Erm............did I?!! Glad to hear you have made a contact!

Comment

Thanks very much Jess. I've worked out that William Elsgar/Isgar isnt anything to do with my family now. He was attacked by someone called Samuel Elms and Laura found out that William lived in Bedminster. I was just trying to find out the area they lived in, to work out which Samuel Elms it was.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky L View Post
                        Just a thought ,Bedminster is now part of Bristol, and Long Ashton only about 3 miles from Bristol
                        Hi Nicky,
                        Thanks for that information, but I was hoping that the people in the newspaper article would be living in High Littleton, Somerset, as that is where I had a Samuel Elms living in 1846. There were Elms living in Bedminster, but don't think they were connected to my line.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          I was looking at Isgar entries in Clutton district (for High Littleton) and found a William who had his children born in High Littleton, but not until after his wedding in 1871 (I looked for Percy b 1874 in 1881). I wondered if this man's father had a contact with High Littleton in the past. Unfortunately when I went back to look at William as a child, he wasn't with his parents :(
                          Hi Merry,

>>Erm............did I?!! Glad to hear you have made a contact!<<<

LOL yep you did! :D

Thanks for looking at the entries for Clutton district. Shame there wasnt a William Isgar there in the time frame I'm looking for in 1846.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                          X