Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried searching Google News lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried searching Google News lately?

I always thought it only searched recent newspapers, but I was surprised to find, when I did an ordinary Google web search a few minutes ago, that it took me to Google News and brought up some fairly old documents.

You can specify the date range you want to search.

To test it out, I tried searching for "Holden Lancashire" (without inverted commas), and it gave results going back to 1535!

I think what it gives you is a combination of Google book search and web search results, but they're nicely ordered by date.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 22-10-08, 20:55.

Not sure how I did that, actually - I was trying to give a link, but it isn't working. I'll experiment a bit more before posting the correct link.

Google News didn't bring up any results; the actual URL I saw when I searched linked to the Google toolbar, but when I tried to go to that address, it said it's only available for XP and Vista, which I don't have.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 22-10-08, 21:02.

Comment

This shows the Holden search I did:

holden lancashire - Google News Archive Search

Comment

I've got the google toolbar but had never used it (son put it there) and have just found a date of death for Thomas Farrow (jailed for fraud when his bank crashed) in the NY Times in 1934

Comment

OK, got it now. This is the link:

Google News Archive Search

When you've entered your search term, instead of clicking on Search Archives, you need to click on Show Timeline.

To change the date range for the search, click on Search other dates near the top of the page.

Comment

Working...
          X