Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Christopher Edmund Temple

Hi,
    The above may be the father to Edmund Temple Atkins my husbands grandfather. According to an Oxford Uni. site Christopher, who was born in Ceylon c1841 died in 1868.
    His father, also Christopher Temple was a judge in Ceylon.
    Would like any info on him but in particular his date of death so we can send for the cert.
    Have goggled but not found much.
    Thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Jeanie

Have youseen 1851 census HO107 Piece 1813 Folio 196 Page 20

Christopher E Temple aged nine born Ceylom
    Lucy mother
    Elizabeth Sister
    Gerogina sister.

If you don't have ancestry I will post more details

Lin
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for that Lin,
      Yes I do have that. Can't find him on the 1861. Can't find his death in 1868.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

There's a marriage

The Law Times - Google Book Search

(Google books Law Times)

Comment

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
          The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Thursday, June 4, 1868; Issue 1034.
          Attached Files
          Elaine

Comment

It looks as though he must have died in Ceylon. Would it be on Find my Past.

I haven't got a membership but you can probably buy a few credits for it.

Lin
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

His death doesn´t seem to be included in the Overseas Index.
              Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Jill and Elaine.
                I must try and find when he left for Ceylon.
                Potential son was conceived about May 1866.
                Having said that I think my husband is clutching at straws.
                Searching for:

Comment

Here's his birth announcement, in case you need it:

Sep 1841 - Temple, Christopher Edmund, son of Christopher Temple, Esq., Judge in the Supreme Court of Ceylon, Colombo ; born September, 1841.
                  From Cheltenham College Register, 1841-1889

ceylon colombo - Google News Archive Search

Comment

Many thanks for that Mary and to everyone else for being so helpful.
                    Edmund Temple Atkins was the illegitimate son of Emily Atkins who was working as a barmaid in her fathers pub in Oxford.
                    The child was brought up by a servant of Emily's grandfather who was a gentleman farmer.
                    Edmund had been led to believe that his father was some sort of royalty.
                    Or so the family myth goes. Husband has looked around for Edmund Temples and plumped for this one.
                    Searching for:

Comment

Seems a bit unlikely. And the supposed date of conception is well before Christopher Edmund married in Ceylon.

That birth announcement doesn't actually say where he was born, but I assume it was in Ceylon.

Comment

I also think it is unlikely. The 2 connections are the name and the fact that Christopher was in Oxford. It would be good to be able to disprove it. I need to find where he was in 1866.
                        Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                        X