Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find the Gilkes family in 1841/51/61 censuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find the Gilkes family in 1841/51/61 censuses?

I was assured that you kind people don't mind being asked for help even if I can't give back much yet, so can I do so again?

I'm looking for the Gilkes family of Shoreditch in the early censuses, so far to no avail. I'm as sure as I can be without a birth and marriage cert (for John, my 2 x great grandfather), but with censuses, fairly comprehensive IGI entries (for a change) and Pallet's marriage index, that these are the right people and the dates/ages/occupations match up:

Joseph Gilkes born ca 1806 Ratcliff, Middx, d Q1 1873 (Bethnal Green IIRC)
    Ann Sophia née Huns, wife, born 1811 Shoreditch, d 1893
    Joseph, born 1831
    Henry, born 1832
    Mary Ann, born 1835, m William Brown 1852
    Anna Maria, born 1838
    James, born 1840, m Sarah (from later censuses, marriage not yet found)
    Emma, born 1842, m George Adams 1862
    Thomas, born 1844, m Mary Ann Gill 1870 (d 1903)
    John, born 1846, m Ann (BMD) or Hannah (census) (surname poss Mechem acc. to BMD) Dec 1864
    Ann Rebecca, born 1850, m Q3 1871

All the children were born in Shoreditch and baptised in St Leonards
    It also looks like Joseph, the father, was baptised at the age of 40, some 3 months after John. His parents are listed as Joseph and Mary

Pallets has come up with the marriage for Joseph Gilkes and Ann Sophia Huns at St Georges in the East in 1830 and one for a Joseph Gilkes and Mary Porter in the same church in 1806, presumably the parents of Joseph born 1806.

Two questions:
    1. Can anyone find this family in 1841, 1851 or 1861?
    2. How do I go about verifying that Joseph and Mary Porter are indeed the parents of Joseph (b 1806)?

Finally, how do I go about discovering who Joseph (m 1806)'s family/parents were (indeed that next generation back on Ann Sophia's side - and others)? Are there many sources online you can point me too? Pallett's baptism index seems to have no Gilkes's at all listed

Thanks again!

The first thing that springs to mind is that there are a lot of missing census returns for the Shoredith area so don´t be disappointed if we can´t find them!

Off on a hunt!
    Elaine

Comment

Class 107 piece 6930 Book 7 Folio 45 Page 9

Joseph is a busk maker
      Last edited by Pamdidle; 22-10-08, 19:50.
      Pam

Comment

O107; Piece 693; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Bethnal Green; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 25; Folio: 45; Page: 9; Line: 6;
        Elaine

Comment

Brill, thanks that's a great start. Do I gather then that it was quite common for Ann(a) and Hannah to be interchangeable?

I can't quite make out what sort of maker Joseph was?

Comment

Household Members: Name Age
            Ann Gilkes 56
            Joseph Gilkes 55
            Joseph Gilkes 23
            Mary Gilkes 20
            Mary Gurney 21
            William Read 16

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1495; Folio: 193; Page: 56; GSU roll: 87826-87827.

Source Information:
            Last edited by Guest; 22-10-08, 19:56.

Comment

Val, I did actually see that one but I'm not convinced it's the right lot. For a start the parents are 10 years older than they ought to be (usual caveats apply), for a second there are about 7 children missing, and above all, going by later censuses, I can't believe that my Gilkeses were sufficiently well-to-do to run their own business and employ 2 servants.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                The first thing that springs to mind is that there are a lot of missing census returns for the Shoredith area
                Oh, is there a reason for that? Blitz?

Comment

Quite a few of the census returns from Shoreditch and the surrounding area have not survived - certainly for the 1851 census. Not sure about the 1861 census.
                  Elaine

Comment

Possibility for Henry Gilkes.

HO107 Piece 1545 Folio 56 Page 1
                    He is a lodger.
                    Transcribed as Gilker, but could be Gilkes on actual image
                    Pam

Comment

Think you could be right, there, Pam. How interesting that both a porter and a gentleman should be lodging in the same place

Comment

Sorry, not having much luck with these.
                        Elaine

Comment

I think this family in 1851 have to be strong contenders.

Ann Gibbs 40
                          Anne Gibbs 2 Mo
                          Emma Gibbs 9
                          Hannah Gibbs 13
                          James Gibbs 11
                          John Gibbs 4
                          Joseph Gibbs 45
                          Thomas Gibbs 6

HO107 Piece 1534 Folio 150 Page 58

Comment

Oh well done Susan, I think that has to be them - all the ages tally, so does the order of the children and the father's occupation. Can you make out the street?

Ironically, as a student I stayed overnight with a friend in Gascoigne Place, Shoreditch every Thursday night when I was in town for intercollegiate lectures, never having a clue I was quite literally a stone's throw from where part of my family lived and grew up

Comment

Working...
                            X