A major breakthrough???? Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A major breakthrough???? Opinions please

Following on from a thread i started last week i think i might have a big breakthrough.

I was looking for details for Rebecca Thorbon/Thorborn born abt 1785 Kings Lynn, from freereg i have found the following details

All the following baptisms are for the same Kings Lynn parish, parents recorded as William and Martha

Rebecca Thorbon, 17 Dec 1782
    Joseph Thorborn, 10 Jan 1772
    James Thorborn, 31 Mar 1774

Also this one,
    John Thorbon, 16 Oct 1777 born to John and Martha............wonder if dad was really William, right place and right time!!

William Thorbon marriage to Martha Rogers; Same parish as above, 10 Jul 1770.

----

Now on a flight of fancy here, in the same parish in Kings Lynn some years earlier are events in the name of Thurberne

Baptisms;
    George 31 Aug 1603, son of Thomas

And the surnames of Thurburne/Thurborne appear in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire in the mid 1600's...........is it pushing it too far to consider these variant spellings??
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 23-10-08, 19:13.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

They could very well be variant spellings but I would think it will be more obvious whether there is a connection or not if you follow it back generation by generation.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

As people in Lynn get sucked in from all over the place, I'd be casting my net quite wide for alternative spellings and looking at every county wide source I could get my hands on.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have to get back from William, born unknown but died in 1792, in records for his daughter the surname is transcribed as Thorbon on freereg and Thorborn on documents at Norwich Archives.

Rebecca (bap 1782) also seems to have a Thorbon rellie in the '41 who hails from the Channel Isles, (a mariner so a connection to Kings Lynn and the maritime trade isn't too suprising).

I had a fiddle with the surname Thorbon on the UK census and there are less than a dozen results across all years, Guernsey figures in just about every one, either as residence or place of birth.

It does seem that Thorbon is a rare surname, mainland refs seem to cover 1770 to about 1795, Guernsey births are around 1800-1810, for a surname to apply to just one or two generations seems to suggest it has been changed somewhere or originates from overseas perhaps?.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

An awful lot of hits for Thorburn, though. Once you're in Norfolk, you start swallowing the ends of words - so my Skillings occasionally feature as Skillem.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

This just seems to be too much of a co-incedence with the names,

William Thorbon marriage to Martha Rogers, St Margaret, King's Lynn, 10 Jul 1770. William dies 1792, no idea what happens to Martha as yet.

I wonder if one of their sons went of to sea, settled or married in Guernsey and hence his children appear as the family below, and two of them named after the grandparents?

1881 Guernsey Census

William THORBON Head W Male 82 St P Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands Retired Master Mariner
            Mary A. THORBON Sister U Female 77 St P Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands Annuitant
            Martha THORBON Sister U Female 73 St P Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands Annuitant

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              An awful lot of hits for Thorburn, though. Once you're in Norfolk, you start swallowing the ends of words - so my Skillings occasionally feature as Skillem.
              I know what you mean, Burn/Born/Bon/Bin at the end, Thor/Thur at the start

Thorbon to Thorbin, across to Thorbun and back to Thorborn all in one sentence

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X