Icons on forum opening pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icons on forum opening pages?

I noticed a couple of threads have a little icon on the far right and wondered if someone could tell me what it was please.

The one above shows the names being researched by the poster if I hover over the icon. Further down the page, Christine's BDM updates thread has one which shows BDM if I hover.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

I think you are referring to the "tag" icon.
    You can add keywords to the "tag collection" - and then if you wish do a search using the "tag search" - via the Search box on the blue navigation bar.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Gillian if you look on the GO ADVANCE section next to post quick reply at the bottom you will see the Icons click on one and it will appear

Comment

Thanks Elaine and James.

James - I don't see a tag icon amongst the collection.

Elaine - could you just clarify please - could I add a permanent tag of the names I'm researching which would show up each time I posted a thread, or would I need to add a tag each time?
        Gillian

Comment

Tags are on the lefthand side under post reply

Comment

No you would add a tag each time. However, we are trying to encourage research topic orientated tags rather than names or general topic tags.

For example if you are looking for any thread connected with Divorce - go to the search box on the blue navigation bar, enter the word Divorce and click on tag search. This will bring up the tag cloud (don't ask me why it is called that!) which shows all the tags currently in use. The larger the text, the more times that particular tag has been used. Click on the word divorce and you will be taken to all the threads where Divorce has been added as a tag.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks James - found them

The next question is, how do I add one?
              Gillian

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I've found the cloud!
                Gillian

Comment

Underneath my reply, can you see a box the width of the screen - heading on left hand side "Tags" - with the words "Edit tag" at far right.
                  Tell me if you can't as I am not sure if I am seeing the same layout as you on this!
                  Elaine

Comment

You have probably realised, but you only add the tag to the thread where the topic is relevant.

So for example on this thread you could add a tag named "tag cloud" - as we have discussed what and where the tag cloud is. You wouldn't add a tag of "divorce" to this thread, as there is nothing here that would help anyone if they were looking for info about divorce.

I know it sounds obvious - but just to clarify for anyone looking in!
                    Elaine

Comment

Yep - I see the edit tags in the quick reply options, but not if I "go advanced"

So, just checking I've got this right - anyone can add a tag to a thread, and it will show up on the thread title?

Presumably this is to narrow down search results when doing a search for a specific topic?

(Should I have been able to find all this information on FTF somewhere for myself?)
                      Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        You have probably realised, but you only add the tag to the thread where the topic is relevant.

So for example on this thread you could add a tag named "tag cloud" - as we have discussed what and where the tag cloud is. You wouldn't add a tag of "divorce" to this thread, as there is nothing here that would help anyone if they were looking for info about divorce.

I know it sounds obvious - but just to clarify for anyone looking in!
                        lol Elaine - I was almost tempted to add a divorce tag then - but I didn't know if tags could be deleted!:D
                        Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                          Yep - I see the edit tags in the quick reply options, but not if I "go advanced"
                          That's right - they can be added at any time - you don't need to hit the reply button first.

So, just checking I've got this right - anyone can add a tag to a thread, and it will show up on the thread title?
                          Presumably this is to narrow down search results when doing a search for a specific topic?
                          Yes and yes and yes!

Should I have been able to find all this information on FTF somewhere for myself?
                          If you find anything then let me know - I went hunting when you asked the question and couldn't see anything. :D
                          Elaine

Comment

Family Tree Forum - FAQ: General Forum Usage

Not sure if the link will take you directly to the Tags section or if you will have to scroll down to get to it.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Well done Kate - it's a long time since I have thought about looking in that section! :o
                              Elaine

Comment

I should have added how to get to it (apart from by using the link) for anyone who doesn't know - on the "Policies" drop-down menu at the top.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

And thank you too Kite. I've got so used to taking the same route around the boards after I've logged on - I must do some exploring!
                                  Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                  X