Australian Newspaper Digitisation Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Newspaper Digitisation Project

I don't know if anyone is aware of this new search facility, or would find it useful. The National Library of Australia has launched a new search website for searching various Australian Newspapers for various dates. The Argus (Melbourne, Victoria) has great coverage at the moment.

You used to be able to scan and search on individual pages of each paper, but now you can search the whole database.

My hotel-keeping ancestors lived in the Hunter Valley and rate many mentions in the Maitland Mercury for everything from deaths, licence renewals, court cases about stolen items, fines for selling illegally (and the MM is only covered for 3 years so far !!). I did find out that my g-g grandfather Sam Dawson, was not only a hotel owner, but also an Alderman on Maitland Council in 1882 (nominated in controversial circumstances!!)

I love the report of the court case between Henry Fisher, executor of the estate of Elizabeth and Michael Foard, who was trying to evict William Thomas Francis Brazill from The Globe Inn, Morpeth. No where in the proceedings is it mentioned that William is the brother of the late Elizabeth (which I thought might have made a difference to the case !!)

Things are reported far and wide - the inquest into the Stanwell Park storm drownings that claimed the lives of 5 of my family members in 1933, is reported in the SMH and Illawarra Mercury (not in the project) but also The Argus and The Canberra Times.

Notices of unclaimed letters, governement appointments all sorts of little bits of info, if you want to fill out the minutae of life of your Aussie ancestors, this is a great place to start. You can also edit the transcriptions as you go (so if you don't hear from me, you will know I am editing)

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Di is thie the site you're referring to?

NLA Australian Newspapers beta
    Kit

Comment

Yes, it's very useful - there was a thread about it a while ago.

The only problem is the very poor quality of the transcriptions (the newspapers have been scanned and OCR'd), which means that it can be very hard to find what you're looking for.

This is the link, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

NLA Australian Newspapers beta

Comment

Sorry, I must not have seen the previous thread, and I agree, Mary some of the transcriptions are pretty bad. But so far I have found that if I am searching for a name or place that might be in the large heading, there is a better chance of it being picked up correctly.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I did try the "help to correct this entry" once but couldn't get it to work.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've used the site and I like it. I found quite a bit for my OH's rellies when they lived in WA. I've found searching is a bit like the Times, you have to be creative.
            Kit

Comment

I've found very little for mine - I shall have to try again.

Comment

It depends on the years you want Mary. The coverage is sketchy, I was just lucky.
                Kit

Comment

Thats great Di. I have found more info on the notorious 'Velvet Ned' aka Thomas Brewerton.
                  If it's to be, it's up to me.
                  Searching for:
                  English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi, I have tried the NLA Austalian Newspapers beta link, but I am just getting a HTTP error, any suggestions,? I would like to get on to this, as I have a strong feeling it was my 2nd Cousin 4xtimes removed that started printing these and many other papers in Oz, in the 1850's. He was a Arthur Charlwood, and even today, the family are connected to the print, one, Don Charlwood has written many many books, and the family are very well known in Melbourne area, my second cousin even had the Argus Agency sign over his shop in the 1850's.. strangely my daughter is at Uni doing Grapic design, this Uni which is in London, use to be the Old Printing School, where all the printers on the Old Fleet Street use to go and train, do you think it is in the Genes lol.....thanks....Lilly;)

Comment

The link has stopped working for me too.
                      I think I may have exhausted it!!
                      If it's to be, it's up to me.
                      Searching for:
                      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

naught girl...lol. think I might try the Melbourne archive library then, or the National Library of Australia web's site, see if I can find it on there, looks like it is going to be a treasure trove for me...!!Lilly
                        Last edited by Lilly the flower; 22-10-08, 10:50.

Comment

It's working for me.
                          Kit

Comment

Managed to get the main page up, done a search, over 400!!! matches, click on link and get!!!!............that darn HTTP errors link again!!!!......Lilly:(

Comment

It's broke........

****sob****

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOO......please don't say that!!!! I have over 400 look ups to do, and I know from the theads that they are all related to me...now I will have to do some house work lol......Lilly

Comment

Every so often it works, then gets tired. It's getting late here..might need a little snooze...lol.

Mary.....Bev has spent the day at the Beardies Museum.

Comment

Nooo!!!

I hope she took some photos

Comment

Working...
                                    X