1801 Census of Guildford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1801 Census of Guildford

When my mum died in 2004, I took over the family tree completely.

She was a member of various FHSs, including West Surrey Family History Society. I have a bookcase stuffed full of various publications. This morning I idly picked one up.

It is the March 2005 edition and it has Part 2 of the 1801 census for Guildford!!

I well may have found my 4xgt grandfather George White!

Part 1 was in a previous edition, which I may or may not have upstairs.

Could I please have suggestions for column headings. It goes like this:

Householder
    (name)

H:F - entries are U, 1:-, 1:1, 1:2, etc.

The next one is
    m:f

which I assume is number of males and females

Then

A:T:O
    e.g. 2
    1:8
    2:5:3

And lastly
    p:no
    e.g. 13:11, 50:8, 46:12

There are no explanations of the column headings.

I wonder how many more 1801 census gems are available!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I think the A:T:O is something like "agriculture / trade / other" but I'll see if I can find my notes on the Essex censuses (I've got the censuses on microfiche so I can't check what it says on them just now!) and get back to you.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Kiterunner!

I don't appear to have the earlier edition with Part 1. My mum (or I) probably kept this one as it had the Whites in it (I doubt very much she threw it away!!)
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

H:F - entries are U, 1:-, 1:1, 1:2, etc.

The 1800 census for Southrepps (Norfolk) indicates if there is a wife and also tallies the number of children.
        Could U represent Uxor and the strings of numbers represent the number of children??

There are also columns for rank (profession) & numbers ofservants & residence.
        The last page lists details of Parishioners who are not Inhabitants (P: no: ?????)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

H:F is number of houses, and inhabited by how many families (U will be "uninhabited", then for instance 1:2 would mean 1 house inhabited by 2 families).

m:f will be number of males and number of females.

A/T/O: How many employed in (a) Agriculture (b) Trade, Manufacture & Handicraft and (c) Neither?

Still trying to find out what the p:no one is!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Wait - is the "p" number the total of "A" and "T", and the "no" number equal to the "O" number?
            KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner:

This is the first George White:

H:F 1:1 (one house, one family)

m:f 1:1 (one man, one woman)

A:T:O 2 Not sure about this?

p:no 33:6

The last two columns seem rather problematic.

There are two other George Whites:

1:2 2:2 4 30:4
              1:1 2:4 6 22:4
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I've found a PDF document all about the early censuses which would be worth reading:
                http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/worki...s/MW-RW-BM.pdf

The questions which had to be answered for each parish about the "current population" were:
                How many inhabited Houses are there in the parish, by how many families are they occupied, and how many houses are uninhabited?

How many persons are there in the parish, including children, distinguishing males and females, and excluding men serving in the forces or at sea?

What number of people in the parish are employed in Agriculture; how many in Trade, Manufactures or Handicraft; how many in neither?

There would be a form filled in with the numbers for each house and then the numbers would all be added together to make the return for the parish.

There should be three numbers for A/T/O - one for A, one for T, and one for O, and they should add up to the same number as the total of the M and F, if the enumerator did it correctly!

As for the p:no, I'm still confused about that - it couldn't be a running total, could it?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for trying to clear it up, KiteRunner - I think you are on the right lines.

I think I shall just do the intelligent thing and contact the West Surrey Family History Society and ask them. :o

There are three George White entries - I'm sure one of them is mine! Oh, why don't they give the childrens' names!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

You're lucky even to get the householders' names, to be honest.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I wonder if p is page and no, number? i should have my copy somewhere, but goodness knows where it is!
                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

have you got any wyes on that census
                        by any chance?
                        wye surrey/london/birmingham
                        lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                        hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                        ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                        herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                        armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Afraid not, Tinkerbee, only Wyatt.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

ahh thanks for looking
                            wye surrey/london/birmingham
                            lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                            hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                            ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                            herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                            armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

In the 1811 census I believe A T O to stand for agriculture, trade, other (i.e., not agriculture or trade). Someone kindly gave me information on one of my ancestors from the 1811 and 1821 censuses of one of the Essex villages.
                              Jenny

Comment

Working...
                              X