Usually I'm OK at maths, but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usually I'm OK at maths, but......

I was talking to son about his Tudor day at school tomorrow. He is going dressed as Edward VI The reason for this is that Edward was 9 when he became king and son is also 9 so he is hoping to boss his friends around!

Anyway, I was looking at wikipaedia and this is what it says:

Edward VI (12 October 1537 – 6 July 1553) became King of England and Ireland on 28 January 1547 and was crowned on 20 February at the age of nine.[2]

So, if he was born in Oct 1537, surely he would have been 10 years of age on 12th Oct 1547 and that comes before Jan 1547 surely??

He was nine in the books when I was a child, so what has happened to the dates? I also remember that Henry VIII died in Jan 1547 when I was at school, so that would seem to fit....... (No, I wasn't at school in 1547!)

Henry VIII died in Jan 1547

You remember some pretty useless stuff, dont you?
    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
      Henry VIII died in Jan 1547

You remember so pretty useless stuff, dont you?
      Exactly, but when I was at school no one told us about Jan-March being at the end of the year, so I never looked at it from that angle before

Comment

12th Oct 1547 and that comes before Jan 1547 surely??

No Merry. January comes before October - always has done, prob always will do.

( someone pass Merry some water please)
        Jess

Comment

[QUOTE=

So, if he was born in Oct 1537, surely he would have been 10 years of age on 12th Oct 1547 and that comes before Jan 1547 surely??

He was nine in the books when I was a child, so what has happened to the dates? I also remember that Henry VIII died in Jan 1547 when I was at school, so that would seem to fit....... (No, I wasn't at school in 1547!)[/QUOTE]

Don't underrstand - what you mean? He'd still be nine in January 1547, he wouldn't be 10 until October. :(
          Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

But before 1752 March 26th was New Years Day! And Jan came after December like now, but the year didn't change until March

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
              Don't underrstand - what you mean? He'd still be nine in January 1547, he wouldn't be 10 until October. :(
              But January came after October until 1752! That's why lots of people do those double dates like 12th Feb 1750/51

Jess, water is no use to me!! lol

Comment

Mmmmmm!! I don't think general school history books got into the niceties, or complexities, of Julian and Georgian calendars
                Dorothy G

Comment

No, I think you are right, but when my brain trys to work out what the dates were at the time, my head goes fuzzy and I can't do it?! lol

So, the books should say Jan 1546 for the death of Henry and the crowning of Edward for Edward to have still been nine (on the old calendar), but as we would be confused they have called it 1547 all the time? It sounds sort of reasonable, but not, at the same time!!

Comment

:D Pass!! :D
                    Dorothy G

Comment

If he was born in October 1537 then yes he would have been 9 in 1547.

October 1538 ..........1st Birthday
                      October 1539...........2nd Birthday
                      October 1540...........3rd "
                      October 1541............4th "
                      October 1542............5th "
                      October 1543............6th "
                      October 1544.............7th "
                      October 1545.............8th "
                      October 1546.............9th "

Therefore on 28 January 1547 he was still 9 !! (Until October when he would have turned 10 lol!)

Joanie

Comment

lol!! :D

Comment

October 1546.............9th "

Therefore on 28 January 1547 he was still 9 !!
                          On the modern calendar you are right, but in 1547 October was the eighth month of the year and January was the 11th month! So If he was nine in October 1546 he would have been ten three months before his father died!

I realise these dates have been tidied so that ordinary people can understand, but what about historic documents written at the time? I've never seen anything that said Henry VIII died in Jan 1546 (ie one month after Dec 1546) :(

Comment

Give the woman some more wine.

merry , sweetie, you cannot re-write history this late at night, dear
                            Jess

Comment

*Imagines little Master Merry being sent into school tomorrow with a note from mummy saying teacher has got the dates wrong!*

:D:D
                              Elaine

Comment

Little Master Merry thinks he became king the day before yesterday (ie after nine years, three months and whatever days) and I'm sticking to that, because I dont need a morning tantrum (from him or me!)

Comment

Are you telling me Merry that you cannot find him on ANY of the census?

*Breaking news.... Merry fails to find boy on census*

;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

*consults vellum scrolls*

Comment

Oh dear. I go away to do some domestic chores and return to find this thread!
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

from a web site

Since Edward was only 9 years old when he became king in 1547 on the death of his father, a group of councilors stipulated in Henry VIII's will ruled the kingdom in his name. His council elected his uncle Edward Seymour, the Earl of Hertford, as lord protector, and Hertford soon was created Duke of Somerset.

Comment

Working...
                                        X