does this make sense to you? - Possible breakthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this make sense to you? - Possible breakthrough

My ggg grandfather John Layzell has long been a problem to me, the first sign of him had been his marriage to Ann Holt in Derby in 1845. He was listed as a labourer. The 1851 has them living in Chatham in the marines & he was shown as being a corporal in 1846 when his first child was christened. I recently found, with various people's help, a suitable family for him in Great Bentley Essex, the burial of his mother & possible remarriage of his father in Derby in 1831, which I felt explained how he got to marry in Derby himself. However there was no sign of him in 1841. Peppie very kindly had a llok for his records at Kew but was unable to find anything.
    Following my recent discoveries (with Elaine's help) of marine records for other family members, I was having another look for him & this time I think I've found him! The listing is ADM 157/28/170 & is for a John Laysell ( s not z), enlisting in Chatham in 1835 aged 18 (my John was born c 1817, which would be right). It also says that he was from Essex, which would also be right.
    Do you think this is him? If so why does he say he is a labourer on his marriage cert, or could this be a mistake, as his father was a labourer? It all makes sense & so it has to be him, doesn't it? your opinions please.
    BTW I have a copy of his marriage cert & Elaine Tatty Teddy also checked the prs for me, so it does say labouer for his occupation
    Lynn

Maybe the vicar made an assumption that he was a labourer. People didn't question authority in those days. You would be expected just to accept what they wrote.

Or.......He couldn't have been awol or something??!!! Maybe he wasn't supposed to have gone to Derby so it was better to say he was a labourer?

Comment

Thanks Merry, either of those are possible. I am just glad that I appear to have found him. I still can't find him in 1841 though, but he could well have been at sea.
      Lynn

Comment

If you could get his RM records, it would tell you where he was in 1841.

My ggg grandfather was in the RM from 1810 till when he died in 1833, but still had times when he was away with his family. Maybe he was helping someone on a farm for a week or two......vicar asks where he works?............

Comment

Thaks Libby, that is a very good thought. The archives are showing only 2 pages of douments for him & I will get a copy when I go to Kew in December.
          Lynn

Comment

Working...
          X