Apple and my FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple and my FTM

Don't know if I am cracking up, but my XP laptop seems to be turning in to a Mac lol.....I have 2006 FTM and on it is a free 30 day trial to ancestry, I haven't used it yet, as I thought I would wait until I had more time, anyway, I was made redundant arrrrrrh I hear you say lol....great I thought, I will do all the things that I have wanted to do for a while, like use my 30 days free trial to ancestry, but every time I click on ancestry to apply for it, all I keep getting is the http://www.familytreeforum.com/famil...software/www.. Apple.com main page??? anyone know why this should happen, I do have an ipod, an apple one lol.....also I have noticed that I have safari in my programmes as well, which I believe is also mac!!!, I do uploads for my ipod, do you think this is why, I can't get my free ancestry, only the Mac main page....any suggestions lol.....thanks.....Lilly
    Last edited by Lilly the flower; 22-10-08, 11:42.

If you have, at any time, used the iTunes site for music for your iPod, it will have installed some 'Apple' software for using apple mobile devices.
    This is probably why you see the 'safari' in your programs.
    If you look at the processes that are running you may also see 'apple mobile device' application running. This is no problem, just preloads in case you are going to use iTunes to speed up its opening up.

The web link you put in your post does not exist, which makes it impossible to see the actual error you are getting, so have you copied it correctly?

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi I have copy and pasted the link I am getting, does that help you to help me at all
      Apple - Start

not even sure how the other link even appeared in my message?there is something strange going on here lol....

Lilly now what is even more strange, is when I do a preview post, the web page that I C@P disappears, and turns into Apple-start.

I will write the page and see if that makes any different its

http://WWW.apple.com/startpage[/url]
      Last edited by Lilly the flower; 22-10-08, 19:42.

Comment

Isn't it just your 'default' page ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I don't know Rachel, it only happens when I try to access ancestry though my FTM, I don't have any others problems, that is why I thought it so odd!!......maybe it is, will get daughter to have a look, many thanks.....Lilly

Comment

Oooooer ... that really is odd ....
            FTM does not work on the Mac

Will keep an eye on this thread and hope you get a sensible answer

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I know lol, really, its spooky what this computer is doing, everything else on it works fine, even the FTM, until I try to access Ancestry, and then it turns into a mac, lol....just can't see why, even daughter, who is a lot better at computers than me, can't understand it....watch this space lol.....even getting to the point of doing a complete reboot of the computer, just to get my free 30 days from ancestry, but I thought that was a bit drastic!!...Lilly

Comment

Sounds daft, but can you type into your browser address bar
                http://www.bbb.co.uk
                (NOT bbc)
                I want to see if that takes you to the apple page
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 22-10-08, 22:21.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Apple are getting Windows users to install their own version of web browser (Safari), by their QuickTime and iPod download updates.
                  Apple pushes Safari on Windows via iTunes updater | Tech news blog - CNET News

I can guess that when you downloaded the 'updates' for your iPod software, you did not realise the the Safari update that it also encouraged you to install was another web browser.

I bet that your default page to go to if a web site cannot be contacted is the Apple home page, this will have been caused by the settings the Safari browser would have carried out on install.

Only if you are using Internet explorer as your web browser
                  Use your Add/Remove software icon in Control Panel to remove Safari

Then see if this changes anything
                  Get back on the forum if it does not.

If you purposely installed the safari browser
                  Then all that is happening is that it is going to your home page.

Have looked around, and cannot find any register settings etc that point to the website for the free trial, so assume it is in-built as part of the program code or FTM.

Researching:

Comment

Hi Trevor, I have tried the [url=http://WWW.bbb.co.uk and it just comes up as an error page, if I do it though google I just get a list of different web pages or do 'I mean' bbb.org.uk....I understand what you are saying about the brower, I think!, I am on AOL, but do have internet explorer on my desk top, would it be worth, opening my internet connection though that, and trying to delete Safari that way.....? and yes you are right about the free trial with ancestry coming as a build in with FTM, it was part of the deal, that came with the CD...I won't try anything yet, I shall await your words of wisdom....thanks for your help......Lilly....... ps. also noticed that I have 'quicktime' on my computer, down on the corner right hand of my screen, with all the other icons, isn't that a 'mac' thing as well!!
                    It might also explain why I can't alway open items in my documents as well, as it is asking for me to install 'quicktime'....seems as if the problems might well be this safari!!! ;) pps how strange is this? just done a preview of this message and where I have written bbb.co.uk....the lettering has changed on the preview to 'Welcome-Family Tree Forum,'I have had to now type in
                    those words, as I don't know what is going to appear, when I send this!!!

Comment

The bbb.com was my way of testing if there was a default 'search page' set up by the Safari application, your reply has confirmed that this is not the case.

Your PC is an IBM, will always be an IBM and never morph into a MAC, so don't worry.

Re the 'Quicktime', some movie files are created in an extension type of .mov.
                      This requires Quicktime to play them. There is no worry about this being on your PC, far from it, I always put it on PCs in my college, along with Windows Movie player, Flash player, Real media player and adobe PDF reader. (Each of these are 'add-on' utilities that, if yu needed to play a type of file that needed them, you would be prompted to download).

What you should do is de-install the Safari browser
                      Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel
                      Find the Add Remove Programs icon and run it
                      Then find the Safari program and select remove

Finally, regarding the 'welcome to Family Tree Forum' that appears when you type in web address links.
                      This is a feature of the forum program itself.
                      The link still goes in, but you normally do not see the actual address, don't ask me why, it just does.
                      I had to use the 'edit' button on my post to you to edit the text it displays to the Untitled text for you to see it.

Researching:

Comment

gosh, you are being so helpful, thanks you, just one more question!, when I delete this Safari program, should I use my AOL brower, or should I open up internet connection with my Internet explorer, thought I bet check, I wasn't really worired about my XP changing into a Mac lol, just couldn't understand why it was doing all these silly things, all makes sense now!..as for Quick time, you had to pay for that anyway, and I thought, I have never needed it in the past, so why should I bother now!! I will let you know how I get on, and you never know I might just get my free trial on Ancestry yet!...lol,, thanks again.....Lilly (smiling now and not so confused lol)

Comment

Working...
                        X