Census Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Problem

Hi All, first time with the forum, so here goes....
    I am having problems locating my Great Grandparents in the 1881, 1891, 1901 census. I have my grandfathers birth certificates which give his parents as Edward and Mary Jane Griffin and he was born in Middlesboro in 1887. I cannot locate Edward and Mary Jane in any of the census, i know Edward was alive in 1917. Only by searching for Sophia Griffin can i locate a family in the 1881 census, with Edward and Mary Jane and 2 children, Thomas and Sophia, in Middlesboro. Now since my grandfather (Christopher) was born in 1887 i need to find them altogether in the 1891 census but i get zero results. I also know that Sophia lived to marry and Edward and Christopher were alive in 1917 in Hartlepool. Could anyone point me to how to find them together, particularly in the 1891 census?

Thanks,
    Griff

Not sure I have the right family- but have you looked at this one in 1891, transcribed as Griffiths
    RG12; Piece: 4101; Folio 26; Page 17

Oops -forgot to say, welcome to Family Tree Forum
    Elaine

Comment

and the 1901 census, transcribed as Griffen
      RG13; Piece: 4641; Folio: 98; Page: 27.
      Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine, thanks for the reply, could you tell me what the RG12; Piece: 4101; Folio 26; Page 17, means and how to find them, i am with Ancestry.
        Thanks,
        Griff.

Comment

Sorry Griff.
          Open Ancestry and go to the Home page
          Scroll down and select the England 1891 census.
          At the bottom of the search form you will see some boxes
          Piece / Folio / page
          enter the reference I have given to you into these boxes Piece: 4101; Folio 26; Page 17
          Click on search button.

This will bring the results of all the people recorded on that page - and you will see a Griffiths family which I think might be yours.
          Click on View Record to see the family - and then check the image.

Do the same for the 1901 census - where I think the family have been recorded as Griffen.
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, will Griff have to select the Old Search thingy first??

Comment

Good thinkng Merry - I never use anything other than the old search facility!

Griff - Just below the Ancestry tool bar (Home/ My Ancestry/Search etc) there is an option to use the new search facility. YOU DON´T WANT THIS!
              Elaine

Comment

Hi again, Elaine. What a fantastic result, thank you so much, i have searched for hours and never thought about the name being transcribed wrongly. The thing that ties it all together is that i have Christophers marriage certificate and one of the witnesses was William Edward Griffin, who was his brother!!! Many Many Thanks.
                Regards,
                Griff.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                  What a fantastic result, thank you so much, i have searched for hours and never thought about the name being transcribed wrongly.
                  It happens all the time unfortunately. Some census enumerators had rather flowery handwriting.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Its obviously something i must now bear in mind.
                    Regards,
                    Griff.

Comment

Hi Griff
                      Welcome to FTF.
                      Census and BMD records are very often mistranscribed so you need to have an open mind when searching.
                      You will find that the members on here are very helpful so if you need any more help, just ask!
                      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
                        You will find that the members on here are very helpful so if you need any more help, just ask!
                        This I can corroborate. I only joined up 10 days or so ago but they've already helped break down some walls. I'm trying to contribute back where I can but I don't really have the knowledge yet to do so, but I feel bad about taking without giving

Comment

Originally posted by Pipemma View Post
                          This I can corroborate. I only joined up 10 days or so ago but they've already helped break down some walls. I'm trying to contribute back where I can but I don't really have the knowledge yet to do so, but I feel bad about taking without giving
                          I wouldn't feel bad. The people on here who help do so because they enjoy it - that's certainly so in my case. I sometimes even manage to answer queries :D When I don't know the answer, which is more often than not, its interesting to read other peoples thoughts and I often learn something that way.

Griff

Welcome to FTF.

On Ancestry, if you don't find what you want straight away its worth experimenting with just filling in some of the boxes.

For example, if you enter Christopher Griff* and 1887 you will see the results Elaine found. You have to put at least 3 letters before the *

Jackie
                          Jackie

Comment

Griff,
                            Just for future reference I'll explain how I found your results.
                            You gave us the 1881 census which showed Sophia to be born 1879 in Middlesborough, parents Edward and Mary Jane. You also said Christopher was born c 1887.

When I searched the 1891 the only information I entered was:
                            First name: Sophia
                            (NOTE: no surname entered)
                            Year of birth: 1879 +/- 2 years
                            Birthplace: County = Yorkshire / parish = Mid*

I clicked search and there were only 5 results, one of which was the Griffiths family.
                            If there had been too many results to search through then I may have entered mother's name and father's name.

I found the 1901 using a similar method, but by searching for Christopher instead of Sophia, as she may well have left home by that time.

The secret here, when you are trying to find someone who has been mistranscribed or the name has been spelt differently, is less information is better! Just put the basics - if you get too many results add another snippet of info.

The use of wild cards (*) is also a valuable thing to remember. You can see in the birthplace I entered Mid*
                            This would pick up any parish where the first three letters are Mid ..... - and so would cover you if the transcriber had spelt Middlesborough incorrectly.

You can also use this with names. For example I could have entered the surname as Grif* - this would have found any Griffin / Griffen / Griffiths families etc.

Hope that helps.
                            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-10-08, 08:22. Reason: typo!
                            Elaine

Comment

Working...
                            X