Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to read this please

I hope this works....
    I have scanned a portion of a Royal Marines Enlistment papers. Can someone please help me read the bit about the distinctive marks.
    Of course you can only do that if you can enlarge the image, I'm practising on you all, Ive never uploaded a scanned image before:p
    Thank you for any help
    Sam
    Attached Files

It's too fuzzy when it's made bigger. Do you have a high resolution scan at all?

Comment

I'm not being asked to select anything other than Greyscale, Colour, Black + White I'm afraid. I'll have to read up more about my scanner and try again
      Thank you anyway
      Sam

Comment

I wonder if this is any clearer?
        Attached Files

Comment

I can't think what the first word is, but :

??? from burn over upper part of back to shoulder

and above that........and from something something???

Comment

Cicatrice
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
              Cicatrice
              Ooh! I had that in a crossword puzzle today - it means 'scar'.

Tim
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Sorry, I can't make out the bit on the line above, I could guess a bit, but I don't think that would be helpful!

Comment

Would it be "& part of chest"?

Comment

Cicatrice from burn over upper part of Back, shoulder and part of chest.

Hi cousin Jill, give us a lick of your lollie.
                    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I'm not sure Jill.

I was just reading the typed bit underneath. Is that ref to "the letter D" about them checking the recruit wasn't a WW1 deserter? I think they used to brand them with a D on the chest. :o

Comment

WOW thank you all ever so, I never would have got the first word.

I'm so pleased. This is my dad's Great grandfather and he doesn't know I've managed to get these records yet, I'm seeing him tomorrow. I'll give you all lots of praise & credit for deciphering it for me.

Comment

Henry was actually invalided out in 1870 after ruptering due to lifting a heavy basket of coals.

This is all quite difficult to read but I'm getting there.
                          Thank you again and I'll know where to come in future ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X