Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Marine Light Infantry Pensioners - 1859 - 1881

Hi,

I am considering applying for the pension details of my GG Grandfather to enable me, once and for all, to find out his date of birth, death and maybe parentage (after 18 months I still can't find out). I have his naval service record but the date of birth he gives on this 4.10.1840 does not seem to be correct - no one can find him born in Astbury, Congleton, Cheshire. At the very least I will get his date of death.

He was in the Royal Marine Light Infantry (Red), based at Portsmouth (no number on military records), a colour sergeant, and his service was from January 1860 - April 1881 - he did his time and was presumably due a pension besides which, on the 1901 census he states he is a naval pensioner.

I live nowhere near London and rather than go to the national archives I wondered if I could get these records on line - I believe they are the Greenwich Hospital Outpatient Records???? Could some kind person who knows how to do this, if it is possible, please tell me in words of no more than 2 syllables how to do it;) - I am not brilliant on computers and have to say the national archive website leaves me bewildered

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sue

I don't think the records will be online.

This is the reference for the documents at Kew
    Detecting your browser settings

Additionally, Kew has

Certificates of Service (1802-1894) ADM 29
    These records give the service of Warrant Officers (and ratings) who applied for a naval pension or admission to Greenwich Hospital. They give a brief record of ships and dates, and total time in paid employment. For further details see Military Records Information 31, on ratings' service records.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What was his name?

Comment

His name was George Foster (sometimes Forster - both on his military record). He says he was born - on his attestation sheet - on 4.10.1840 in Congleton. He served from January 1860 - April 1881. He was Royal Marine Light Infantry (Red), Portsmouth - no number on records.

One thing I do have which is a lot more up-to-date on him i.e. 1902 is an address. On my grandfather's military paperwork he gives his father's address as:

14 Woodstock Road,
        Finsbury Park,
        London N

Having said that I am not sure how helpful it would be - I doubt the property was owned, although it may have been by then but they seemed to move a lot ............. I shall be in Finsbury Sunday week - may have a nose around.

He was a "Police Officer, Central Market" on retiring from RMLI in 1881 and lived in Epping. I have tried to trace him through the Police but no information on him in the City of London Police Archives or Met archives. I have tried Epping itself (the Museum) - nothing doing and they do have a list of Police. I wonder if he actually worked at a Market near Clerkenwell where he had moved to by 1901 when he probably was still working at 61 years although he just described himself as a Naval Pensioner on this census. I am not sure if Smithfield or Billingsgate are near there. I understand the markets had their own Police and so he was probably what would today be known as a security guard. I am not sure I would get the information I really want by pursuing this line however because once he married (1868) his wife would appear as next of kin on everything, not his father.

Thank you for trying to help.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
          have to say the national archive website leaves me bewildered
          You aren't alone on that one.
          Kit

Comment

Smithfield is nearer Clerkenwell than Billingsgate was.

Google Maps

the red balloon is marking Clerkenwell and to the right you can see West Smithfield.

Comment

Hi Sue
              I have sent you a PM with contact info for someone that helped me on a similar subject
              Sam

Comment

Working...
              X