Following on from the signatures - the story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following on from the signatures - the story

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the two signatures might be the same! Here's the story. Sorry this is rather long - thanks for looking; I would really appreciate some opinions.

My OH’s ancestor was William EAST who married Mary ARCHER in Burgh le Marsh in 1791 (the first record). We have no proof of William’s origins, although he may have been baptised at Donington on Bain, LIN in 1767.

Mary EAST (nee ARCHER) died in 1819 in Burgh le Marsh.
    William EAST died in April 1837 aged 72 in Burgh le Marsh.

The second marriage, at Kirkstead, was in 1820 and the groom was William EAST from Burgh le Marsh.

Now all the EASTs from Burgh le Marsh are descended from William EAST and Mary (ARCHER). I have detailed lists and connecting trees to prove it, extracted from the microfiche collections at Lincoln Archives. There is no suitable younger William from the family who could have been the second groom unless his baptism was omitted from the records.

I first found the marriage at Kirkstead on the IGI (a submitted record) and for years I dismissed it as fanciful. On my last visit to Lincoln I just had time to check the Kirkstead records to see if it existed ..... blow me! it was correct!

When I saw the signatures I got quite excited because they do have a certain similarity. HOWEVER, I found a death (on the NBI) in Kirkstead for a William EAST aged 24 in 1823. I really must assume (I think) that it was he who was the groom, but then I have no idea who he was! There are very few EASTs in Kirkstead but William and Elizabeth appear to have had at least one son, Joseph Preston EAST.

I confess I ran out of time at Lincoln and really need to make the journey back to properly look at the Kirkstead records.
    Have to go out tonight - I'll be back later.

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-10-08, 18:45.

what is it exactly you are after anne?

Comment

I think you need to look at the burial record of William East in Kirkstead in 1823 to see if the age really is 24. If the age is wrong he could be another son of William and Elizabeth who died young

Comment

I realised when lots of people looked and no-one replied that I had probably answered my own question :o:o
        I got so excited when I saw that the two signatures were so similar and assumed both records must belong to my OH's ancestor. Then when I found the death of 24 year old William in Kirkstead I felt deflated as it seemed more likely that it was two different Williams.

More research needed!!! I have already got a list of 'things to do' next time we go to Lincoln Archives.

Kyle - sorry you were puzzled - I'm famous in my family for asking obscure questions I was hoping people might say 'don't be daft it is obviously two different Williams' or (thanks Georgette) 'get on and do some more research'

Anne

Comment

well, im glad you've come to some sort of conclusion!!

Comment

Working...
          X