Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with a brickwall ... please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with a brickwall ... please!

Trying to find birth and parents of Mary Jessop / Lawrence / Lea born 1855-1861

I have four definite events:

Birth certificate of Florence Jessop Lea 13th May 1881, Rochester Row, Westminster.
    Mother: Mary Lea, formerly Lawrence
    Father: Alexander Lea, occupation coachman
    Birth registered by Mary Lea, mother, 45 Rochester Row, Westminster on 24 June 1881.

1891 census: RG12/1652/79/12
    Alexander Lee, born c1854, Middlesex - occupation Mineral Water Manufacturer
    Mary Lee, born c1855, Middlesex
    Florence b1882
    Annie 1885
    Edith 1887

1901 census: RG13/2579/17/25
    Alexander Lea born c1859, Walworth - occupation Minteral Water Manufacturer
    Mary Lea born c1861, Highbury London
    Darcy b1894
    Freddy b1899

February 1927 : Death certificate/burial records – name recorded as Mary Jessop Lea, died aged 71.

I have checked the 1881 census and Mary and/or Alexander are not living at 45 Rochester Row (RG11/0113/76/4)

I do not think Mary and Alexander ever married. (Alexander was already married with three children!)

Can anyone find them in the 1881 census, or work back on Mary?
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 21-10-08, 12:08.
    Elaine

Presumably Alexander isn't with his other family in 1881?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No he isn't Kate. He left them 1878/1879
      Elaine

Comment

Oops - my apologies - forgot some important information about Alexander.

He didn't like telling the truth with his age!
        On 1851 census he is recorded as born 1849 Lambeth
        On 1861 census he is recorded as born 1850 Walworth
        On 1871 census he is recorded as born 1850 Lambeth

I guess that in later life he decided to knock a few years off his page.
        Elaine

Comment

I'm looking for Mary on earlier censuses now as I got nowhere with 1881. But if she doesn't give her middle name on the censuses it could be tricky finding her - I have Laurences and Lees in my tree so I know!
          KiteRunner

Comment

The birth certificate of Florence Jessop Lea is the first link I have had with the use of Jessop as the middle name (as recorded on Mary's burial records in 1927)

I originally wondered if mother was actually Mary Jessop, and when she "met" Alexander she used the name Mary Jessop Lea - but the BC of Florence shows MMN of Lawrence.

I have searched for a Jessop/Lawrence connection but cannot see anything!

I just don't know how I can work back on this one.
            Elaine

Comment

I thought maybe Mary was illegitimate and her original name was Jessop then her mother married a Lawrence, or vice versa, but I haven't found a likely Jessop / Lawrence marriage either.
              KiteRunner

Comment

The only place of birth I have for Mary is Highbury. Am I right in thinking that would come under the Islington registration district?
                Elaine

Comment

Yes, it would, assuming she's right about being born there!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Kate, thanks for trying. I have a feeling that this one will never be knocked down! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

Just curious but I couldn't see a birth reference for Darcy. Have you found one? I wondered if all the children had Jessop in their names.

Selena

Comment

Sorry, I actually gave the Ancestry transcription - it should be Daisy!
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X