Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on where to look for pub licensee information please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on where to look for pub licensee information please.

I am researching an Elizabeth Dunn, who I believe to have been a licensee at the Crown Boroughbridge c1900.

Are there any good places I can look for information?

well I know my dad had to apply to the magistrate... So presume through the assizes ? It's on my to do list one day....

Comment

Hi Peppie, I was really hoping that there may have been something I could look at online. :( Many thanks for the reply though. :D:D

Comment

Some counties, like Warwickshire, do have victuallers' licences online. You'll need to look at the online catalogue of the local record office to find out.

There's also some information in the Wiki:

Court Sessions and Victuallers' Licences - Family Tree Forum

and there was an article about brewers and publicans in this month's FTF magazine which may have some suggestions.

Other sources:
        Tracing ancestors who worked in pubs

However, your best bet for around 1900 is:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-10-08, 11:05.

Comment

I notice the various inns in Boroughbridge are carefully named on the 1901 census, but there's no "The Crown", but there is a "Crown Hotel" in Horse Fair where the head of house happens to be an Elizabeth Dobb rather than Dunn!

As this seems to be her correct name (d 1904) I'm presuming this is the wrong premises? Or did Elizabeth Dunn take over from Elizabeth Dobb? (she was 81! lol)

Comment

When did Pub Landlords have to be licensed? Is it one of those things that go back to the Stone Age, or was there a specific date when it started? I would hate to spend time looking where they aren't. Like ordering Birth Certificates from 1750.
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Grampa

Licenses back to the year dot, although not many survive pre 1800.

Customs and Excise have always had a deep interest in the selling of beers and spirituous liquors!

OC

Comment

There's a little bit about licences in this month's magazine with a link to an example of a 16th century one

History of brewing

More information can be found in the links at the end of the article, but I think Mary has already added some very useful ones

Comment

Many thanks for all the info everyone. I shall have a look through the links.

Merry, My reckoning is that the Elizabeth Dunn I'm interested in was born c1832, so quite old but not yet at the age of 81. :D

Comment

Working...
                  X