Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland - possible breakthrough, but what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland - possible breakthrough, but what next?

In the past I had ruled this off as a brickwall - we will never know where he was from.

My 5x great grandfather was born c1797 in Ireland. Nothing more is known about him other than this and his name.

A new contact has told me that family rumour has it they were from Ballinasloe, Galway, Ireland.

How would I go about checking this out? Would it be a case of trying to contact each church and ask them if they have their records?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Ireland - Family Tree Forum

County Galway - Family Tree Forum

These Wiki pages may be worth investigating.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes Caroline, I will have a look at those but ideally I was wondering if people had any personal experience, or could suggest a site they have used in the past and found to be good.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

This parish records site is quite good, but expensive:

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Don't forget to try the IGI, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
          Yes Caroline, I will have a look at those but ideally I was wondering if people had any personal experience, or could suggest a site they have used in the past and found to be good.

Hopefully any useful sites will have been added to the wiki - if you find any that aren't there already, do add them wont you!!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Mary, will have a look at it.

The thing with the wiki Caroline is that there is nothing on any of the sites to say if people found them useful. It is a great resource though.

Comment

It all depends on the name you are looking for and whether there will be thousands of the same name or just a few. To get a feel as to whether or not the family name is in the area, you could check out the Griffiths Valuation for that area. Full Valuation is at Irish Origins for which you will have to pay approx £4 for 36 hours.

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

There are other Griffiths to be had for free, but Irish Origins is the most comprehensive to date. Whilst I realise you are looking for baptism of 1797 and that Griffiths is only from 1840's to 1860's, nevertheless Griffiths will give you an idea as to whether the names are in that area as someone was bound to be still there even though many emigrated. You can also look in Tithe Aplotments which come earlier from 1820's to 1840's but whereas everybody is in Griffiths, only those wth a certain amount of land are in TA.

Sadly the BMD from Irish family History Foundation are very incomplete and not all records are on there. Quite a lottery on finding them and very expensive

Failing Griffiths and TA then a trip to Dublin Library/National Archives is your best bet where you will find all the records available. If RC it will be Dublin National Library but if Protestant then it will be Dublin National Archives.

Getting back much further than 1798 is not very hopeful at all. Try Genuki Galway to get some idea as to how far records go back.

The following website may help you with researching Irish Ancestors

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 20-10-08, 22:58.

Comment

Thanks Janet - will take a look at those sites

Comment

I would certainly advise looking at the Irish Family History Foundation before going on a visit to Dublin. Yes, it can work out expensive looking at the records on there but it must be cheaper than the trip, surely! Let us know if you want help narrowing down the free search on IFHF site, won't you?
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate,

It is all a bit too much too late to think about it at the moment so will take a look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes

Comment

Hi Tom,

Have you tried Googling?
                      The first hit I got for Ballinasloe and Genealogy is this site with information on how to research Ballinasloe genealogy: Ballinasloe.org - Articles: Genealogy

They also have a forum with a genealogy section: History and Genealogy

(I've added the link to the wiki)

As Janet has said though, getting back further than 1798 is not very hopeful. According to the site above, the Ballinasloe parish registers (Kilclooney & Creagh) start in 1820, and the Tithe Applotment books were compiled between 1823 and 1837.
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 21-10-08, 06:45.
                      Sarah

Comment

Griffiths valuation is free here, and appears to be complete (with maps):

Griffiths Valuation

Comment

The LDS have filmed the Ballinasloe RC parish registers: Baptisms, 1820-1900; marriages, 1853-1902.

They're not in very good condition, though.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-10-08, 07:28.

Comment

I found that as Cloggie has said that by putting into google the following phrase:

Ballinasloe+Galway+Genealogy, that many people are researching their ancestors from Ballinasloe. You may strike lucky on this.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X