Amusing snippets in 1842 will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing snippets in 1842 will

I have just finished transcribing the will of George Stillings of Bolton Brow, my 4x gt grandfather, a Corn Miller just outside Halifax.

It is the usual division of property etc. He owned quite a few cottages etc in Bolton Brow (now Sowerby Bridge).

One snippet tickled my sense of humour:

"And I expressly order and direct that the owners and occupiers for the time being of all the Cottages and Premises above by me devised which front to the Sowerby Bridge and Salterhebble Turnpike Road shall have an equal right and privilege at all Times hereafter to use the privy and deposit ashes upon the plot of ground situate at the North Side of the Cottages ...."
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 20-10-08, 19:46.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

A privilege to use the privy!!!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And will all smokers please congregate at the North side of the Cottages. Thank you.
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

It somehow brought it all to life! It also helped that we had recently visited the area.

Another (not so amusing, but nevertheless interesting) snippet:

"I give and devise the same unto and to the use of my son George Stillings his heirs and assigns for ever And from and after the death of my said wife as for and concerning all that Cottage or Dwellinghouse and Shop situate at Bolton Brow aforesaid as the same is now in my own occupation And also the two Cellar Cottages under the said Dwelling house and Shops in the same .."

It appears that some poor souls lived beneath the main house in a cellar! I knew that this happened in Manchester, but I didn't expect this in 1840 in a much less densely populated area!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I just love the wills that give you a glimpse of their lives.
          One of my own favourite lines is from my step grandmother's will, written 1933. She itemises nearly all her possessions and leaves them to various members of the family and includes to her son.
          ..one armchair & two pictures.....and my forgiveness for all the unpleasantness he caused in 1932.

I wonder what he did?

Comment

Working...
          X