Tasmanian research help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasmanian research help please

One of my friends who has a dreadful internet connection, can't get broadband and is at the end of a line for dial up so page loading takes forever has asked if I can help with the following people.

Henry HAWKESFORD born 1827 married Sophia GOULE.
    His occupation was Gun Stocker.
    They are on the UK 1851 census in Birmingham.

They went to Tasmania some time after the 1851 census and were back living in Birmingham in for the 1861 census.

Whilst over there they had 2 sons
    Henry HAWKESFORD born c 1854 in ? FLIGHTSHALL ? Tasmania. Not sure of spelling.

Louis Stephen (known as Stephen) HAWKESFORD born c1860 in Hospital Bay Tasmania

She's hoping for baptism and shipping records if possible as well as anything else anyone might think useful.

TIA
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Hi Daphne, I've drawn a blank with passenger lists so far. Have a look at the Tas archives name indexes for BMD information:

Archives Search Portal

I've had a very quick look, and I haven't found them yet.

Comment

Thanks Mary, I too looked through the passenger lists this evening but couldn't see them.
      I didn't know any Tasmanian sites to start looking in, was going to start looking in the wiki to see if there was anything there and thought some of our Wattlers might have some ideas too.
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Hi Daphne,

Go to this new website: NLA Australian Newspapers beta

and type Henry Hawkesford in the search box. The first entry will give you a letter of testimonial from various passengers of the Derwentwater, including Henry Hawkesford and Sophia Hawkesford.

I have not worked out how to save this image yet.

Di
        Last edited by dicole; 20-10-08, 20:41.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Di, thanks for that link, it looks really interesting.
          Daphne

Comment

They are not on the AVRI at all.

The only possible is a death for Julia age 0 in 1855. No other info given.

There are no references to Henry or Sophia or children.

There are other Hawkesfords though.

I'll check a few other spellings.

Comment

Nothing with Hawks* or Hawkes*

Comment

Thanks Libby. This has been a brick wall for my friend for a good few years. Looks like some things will ever be so.
                Daphne

Comment

Maybe not.....I just had an idea.

Let you know later how I got on.

Comment

I was able to find where a Henry aged 25 and Spohia aged 28 left London on a ship called Derwentwater bound for Hobart tasmania on 20th of January 1853.

Also on board was Abraham Hawkesford aged 13

And Frederick infant. ( reference for all c67/13/1/1 p64) Tasmanian archives arrivals

I couldn't find them on the 1857 census...nor could I find the birth of Stephen and Henry.

ON familysearch it stated their births were at Flight Bay and Hospital Bay.....I am unable to find these places in Tasmania...but I will keep checking.

Hope that helps.

Ruth

Comment

And Flashie was my idea........lol

Comment

Oooohhh got Abraham on AVRI. Stacks of info on that lot.

Bad storm here. Will be back later.

Comment

Well done, Flashie - where did you find that?

I've found them on the 1861 English census, but the children's place of biirth is hard to read. Looks like "Ober, Australia". Maybe they mean Hobart?

Comment

Location of Hospital Bay:

Map of Hospital Bay in Tasmania - Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia

Flight's Bay appears to be near Glen Huon.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-10-08, 08:15.

Comment

This is where I found it on Tasmanian archives under arrivals.

Archives Search Portal

But the site is experiencing some problems at the moment...it keeps saying it hasn't found anything...so I would try again tomorrow.

I do know where Glenn Huon is (only about 45 minute drive from me)...but I never knew of Hospital Bay....it doesn't show in Tasmanian town lists and it doesn't have a post code....well they say you learn something new every day...and I guess that was mine.

Comment

I forgot to say...there are some uselful things to look at listed down the left hand side of that page....census ...departures etc.

Comment

Oh thank you everyone, you've been busy, my pc is on a go slow and pages are taking ages to load. You all seem to be far better at searching than me.

Ruth, interesting info on the ship sailing date and I wonder if that was the date they arrived in Hobart as the link Di gave has report of a testamonial given to the Captain from The Courier (Hobart,... Friday 21 January 1853.

Mary, thanks for the link to the map, at least now we know the places did exsist.

Libby I'll look forward to seeing what you have found when your storm passes.

I'd better get the animals sorted and the washing machine working then I can spend a few hours back here.
                                  Thanks for all your help.
                                  Daphne

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                                    Oh thank you everyone, you've been busy, my pc is on a go slow and pages are taking ages to load. You all seem to be far better at searching than me.

Ruth, interesting info on the ship sailing date and I wonder if that was the date they arrived in Hobart as the link Di gave has report of a testamonial given to the Captain from The Courier (Hobart,... Friday 21 January 1853.

Mary, thanks for the link to the map, at least now we know the places did exsist.

Libby I'll look forward to seeing what you have found when your storm passes.

I'd better get the animals sorted and the washing machine working then I can spend a few hours back here.
                                    Thanks for all your help.

What I found was....Flashie.....lol

No....I did find a lot of records for Abraham so I'll get them out for you soon.

Now Flashie......."Research" board wasn't at all scary...was it???

Comment

I've just sent all the things over to Joan and she is over the moon about it. She says she'll be forever in your debt and can't thank you enough. She can't believe how fast you've all been.

Abraham is definately Henry's brother, she'd totally lost him after 1851, She hadn't thought of him also going to Tasmania.
                                      Daphne

Comment

Daphne......this computer is going very slow....might be storm related. There is a large area without power.

I will get them first thing tomorrow.
                                        Please yell if I don't to remind me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X