Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateshead marriage help lookup please

Hi,
    I have a PATRICK BRUCE who wed a JAN JOHNSON in 1563 in Gateshead durham ( igi batch M000591) .
    If anyone has access to these registers could they look him up as i cant seem to find a birth of patrick .He will have been born c 1640 but there isnt a patrick Bruce in england at that time.
    There is 3 born in scotland .All my Bruces up until Patrick are all from northumberland & durham so i'd like to know where patrick was born.Any help appreciated.
    sue

I can't help but I think you have your dates wrong.
    Married 1563 - born c1640 ??

You say there isn't a patrick Bruce in England at that time - are you meaning on the IGI? If so you have to remember that not all parishes have been transcribed.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry, just noticed you are a new member. Welcome to Family Tree Forum.
      Elaine

Comment

Also, if you are going back that far then bear in mind that the PR's from that long ago are often damaged and difficult to decipher, so it could just be that the transcriber had to give up on the particular entry you want, and you might have to look at the PR's yourself to try to find it. Sometimes you can make out a name if you are looking for that particular name because you can see if the shapes match what you want, whereas if you didn't already know what it was going to say you wouldn't be able to make it out, if you know what I mean.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi should say born around 1540 .

Comment

I checked Hugh Wallis' site and GENUKI and it looks as if baptism records for Gateshead 'only' go back to 1559. So it's unlikely that you'll be able to find Patrick's parents unless one of them left a will.

Sorry i can't offer any more encouragement -

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

hi would it not say where patrick was from or any baptism of children to him?

Comment

It's unlikely the marriage entry would say where Patrick was from and even if it did you wouldn't necessarily have his birthplace.

How do you know his approx date of birth?

Comment

I cant find any record of Patrick Bruce thats all .Ive scoured ancestry.co.uk
                  It is on IGI as married gateshead but cant find a birth in Uk of partrick.
                  On parish records it sometimes says thats all

Comment

To be honest, you're lucky that a 1563 marriage entry even says who he married!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Anything is worth a try ive gone back to 1480's with my other side with records

Comment

Originally posted by fountainpen View Post
                        Anything is worth a try ive gone back to 1480's with my other side with records

Is that all with online records?

How do you know his approximate date of birth?

Comment

Unfortunatley not !

Im guessing patricks age !
                          He was married 1563 so im saying c 1540's.
                          Ive searched 1500 through to 1547 but cant find any record of his birth only marriage on IGI so was hoping if anyone has access to gateshead marriage indexes they could verify this IGI.

Comment

You would probably be best to check in the actual PR's if you want to know exactly what the marriage entry says.

Not all baptism registers from the 16th century have survived and if he was born before 1538 then I don't think there would be one at all. You might have to try some other track, for instance, maybe his first son was named after Patrick's father - you could see if there is a will in that name which might mention Patrick? Also if you can find Patrick's burial it may possibly give his age at death, though probably not.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                            X