Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for this photo please.

Hi
    The lady in the photo is Martha and she was born in 1843. The children are possibly her nephews and niece. Suggestions as to the year it was taken and ages of children please.
    Moggie

Hi, I would say that your pretty lady and her children had their photo taken in the 1870s, probably towards the end of the decade. I suspect that the children are all boys as it was usual to dress all small children in skirts. That would mean that the little one woulfd probably be under 5, and it looks rather like the boys go up in 2 year gaps, Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Just Barbara; 20-10-08, 17:33.

Comment

I'm no expert, but would say it is in the early 1880s. I think the children are probably about 11, 6 and 4.

There are people with far more knowledge than me so hopefully they will see this soon

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Barbara - I thought the youngest might be a boy, but I think it is probably a girl because she has a (can't think of the right words but you might be able to work out what I mean) white apron type thingy over her dress. Also the way the youngest child is suggests to me that it is a girl rather than a boy because she is leaning on the lady whereas I would have thought a boy by the age of 4 or 5 would have been encouraged to stand up?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I think it looks more like a girl too although the slipping down socks do seem more 'boyish'

Also the arms are bare .... can't think of seeing a boy without his arms covered ... hmmmmph :(

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Everyone
            Many thanks for your suggestions. I never thought that the little girl could be a boy. I don't have the original photo but I know that the photographer was
            G.Beales New Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire. If I could find him in a directory I might be able to narrow down the year of the photo.
            Moggie

Comment

:oI have come back to apologize as I should have written 1870s, I'm afraid I must have been having a senior moment..:o Have corrected it now. But I still think the little one is a boy..

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                But I still think the little one is a boy..
                Also just come back for another look .... think it's a boy now ... lack of frilly underskirt/petticoat, which looks more like shorts

may change my mind a again later :D

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

186/5 brendanda xxx

Comment

I agree with 1870s, and think the child in the dress is a girl because of the carefully styled curls.
                    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 20-10-08, 18:45. Reason: typo

Comment

Looking at the census I have found out that G (George) Beales was a photographer at New Road, Spalding from 1871 (or earlier) through to 1901 (or later) which unfortunately doesn't help to narrow down just when this photo was taken.
                      Moggie

Comment

The middle child is wearing a knickerbocker suit, these were very popular for boys under 10 in the 1870s, which looks absolutely right for him. Mamas hairstyle is fashionable 1870s too.

Comment

Working...
                        X