X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to Ancestry ...

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
    Elaine

How do you find them, Elaine? I saw someone had mentioned them earlier and I went onto ancestry and clicked on "What's new" but didn't see them.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ooh - just when I thought I was going to have to do some work

Comment

Sorry, didn't realise someone had already mentioned them.
        I just came across it when I was doing an Ancestry search for something - up popped an Incoming Passenger list result.

To find recent additions:
        Ancestry - Home page.
        At the bottom where the census years are listed, click on See all databases
        On next screen, bottom of right hand column - recent website additions
        You can choose whether to include databases originating outside the UK if you wish.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine. I wonder why they aren't promoting it a bit more?
          KiteRunner

Comment

I couldn't find it on the UK site, even by searching "all databases", but I found it on the Australian site:

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 - Ancestry.com.au

Comment

UK site link
              UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 - Ancestry.co.uk
              Elaine

Comment

The "Port of Departure" listed on the results list is not always the same as the "Port of Embarkation" on the image, as I have just found out - I wondered how come my rellie Kathleen D Hewitt was coming here from Yokohama in 1936 and never mentioned that trip in her autobiography, but looking at the image, although the ship had come from Yokohama, she only got on at Gibraltar!
                KiteRunner

Comment

WOW!
                  Have just found my late mother-in-law, her siblings and her parents returning from India to the UK.

*does little jig*
                  Elaine

Comment

Ooh I've found my George Newey.

He left from Liverpool but returned to Glasgow.

Comment

I don't even know who to look for next! I only tried out Kathleen Douglas Hewitt because I thought she would be easy to find, but I bet there are a few of mine somewhere in there...
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                        The "Port of Departure" listed on the results list is not always the same as the "Port of Embarkation" on the image, as I have just found out - I wondered how come my rellie Kathleen D Hewitt was coming here from Yokohama in 1936 and never mentioned that trip in her autobiography, but looking at the image, although the ship had come from Yokohama, she only got on at Gibraltar!
                        I've just found the same with destination, with people disembarking at Belfast when the ship's destination was Glasgow.
                        Sarah

Comment

Another tip - some people only have their initials rather than first name.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I've seen some listed as Mr, Mrs or Miss.

I did surname and approx year of birth. Threw up all the oddities.

Comment

Ooh, I've found my mum and dad, coming back from Australia 3 months before I was born. So I got a free passage

Comment

Ooh

Found some of my Baumberger family and of course some more juicy stuff about my Goulson family.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I'm a bit taken aback by that. My dad was Australian, my mum was English, they married in England after the war and went out to live in Australia. My mum didn't settle, and they came back to the UK just before I was born. I always thought the move back to the UK was intended to be permanent, but on the passenger list, under "country of intended future permanent residence" (defined in a footnote as a year or more) it says (instead of England) "Other part of the British Empire" - presumably Australia. But they never went back.

Comment

I see you can only view the details if you have Ancestry.com ..... not .UK.

I can get the names up but not the details.

Jean

sorry ..... I went in from the posted link ....... if I go in from my own home page it's OK.
                                    Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 20-10-08, 13:02.
                                    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I'm totally staggered. My family history is laid out before me!

Great-grandfather the sea-captain coming back to England for the last time in 1897
                                      Grandfather, grandmother and infant father returning from Calcutta
                                      Father mother and infant brother returning from Nigeria
                                      And my globe-trotting great-aunt crossing the Atlantic about 20 times in the 1920's and 30's.

And that's just one surname!
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well I have just found my gg aunt making voyages age 70 & 80! This just confirms the info I've already been given about her. I am delighted, thanks Elaine
                                        Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                        X