No announcement yet.

More on Mary's will....maybe Military??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Mary's will....maybe Military??

This will seemed quite straight forward until I started to look for those mentioned in it.

Thanks to everyone who's helped finding family members.

Now I've got this:

Mary gave 25 pounds to Constance Garibaldi wife of Genl Ricciotti Garibaldi.

I've found a lot of references to Garibaldi, but really don't know enough history to know if there would be any significance.

Am I supposed to like him....????

Maybe nothing to connect them, but...
    Mary also gave 25 pounds to Berth DuBois of Belgium Consulate Rome.

Would 25 pounds have been just a token amount, or would it have helped people like that????

Not sure what I'm asking here...I feel like I'm rambling.

The will is dated 1919.

I've found the marriage for Constance.

Constance Hopcraft married Ricciotti Garibaldi 1873 at Westminster.

I think I've found her birth as Harriet Constance.

She is named as Harriet Constance in Italy as well.

Comment

Your General was the son of the famous Giuseppe Garibaldi and his Brazilian wife Anita (who fought alongside her husband):

Ricciotti Garibaldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-10-08, 02:50.

Comment

Goodness, he got around a bit - even to Australia.

£25 wouldn't have been a huge amount in those days:

Measuring Worth - Home

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post

Am I supposed to like him....????
          Possibly not...

The Italian version of Wikipedia has more information about Ricciotti Garibaldi than the English version.

It says: He married Englishwoman Constance Hopcraft, with whom he embarked on some disastrous business ventures in America and Australia.

and lists all the children by their marriage.

It goes on to say:

He supported Fascism, and met Benito Mussolini in 1923, when Il Duce visited Caprera.

Let me know if you want me to translate the rest of it.

Comment

Nobody will believe this......just found the house Ricciotti Garibaldi and his wife (Constance) lived in while in Victoria. It was built by one of my rellies!!!!

Six degrees of seperation. It's a small world.

Comment

Sorry, Mary...should have thanked you for that help.

I did manage to read it (there might be others though). I'm just so bad on European history that I don't really know who they are talking about.

Odd that Mary would have given money to them. It doesn't seem as though they were starving where 25 pounds would have made a difference. If Garibaldi was not so nice, then she also gave other things to the Brocks. Granted they were family, but also very high up in UK defence.

I dunno!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                Nobody will believe this......just found the house Ricciotti Garibaldi and his wife (Constance) lived in while in Victoria. It was built by one of my rellies!!!!
                Goodness, that really is astonishing.

I'm just so bad on European history that I don't really know who they are talking about.
                Ricciotti Garibaldi's father Giuseppe is mostly famous for bringing about the unification of Italy with his thousand-man expedition:

Giuseppe Garibaldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                Expedition of the Thousand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Libby

Surely the £25 is a token of remembrance, along the lines of "have a good drink on me when I'm gone, my friend", not a charitable handout!

Although not a huge amount in 1919, it was still a month's wages for most working people and you wouldn't step over it in the street, even today!

OC

Comment

That's the way I was looking at it, OC, after reading about him.

There's quite a few of the 25pound bequests.

I thought I quite nice that she gave her servant 200 pounds. That probably would have been a fair whack for her.

Mary sure does have an eclectic group of friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X