Help opening file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help opening file

Wendy kindly sent me a Gedcom from the generations game challenge, but my computer won't open it.

It says I need to "create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

where is this and how do I do it?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

right click on the file
    Select Open with
    Navigate to the application you use for reading your Ged files (poss FTM?)
    Put a tick in the always open with this box

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor

Thank you. When I right click I just get an Open option and when I click on that I get the same message as before.

Comment

Further down the list you should see Open With

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

dare I ask
          Are you Vista or XP?

The Windows Vista tool you use to change file associations in located in the Control Panel click on the Default Programs icon
          you then have two choices for changing file associations:
          1. Set your default programs
          2. Associate a file type or protocol with a program
          Choose 2
          You then get a very long list of file extensions, including a description and the name of their associated program if it is known. To modify the program associated with a particular extension, you select the extension and click the Change Program button. then navigate to the required program

In XP Go to control panel > tools > folder options
          Select the file types tab
          Scroll down the list until you get to the required extension, then use the change button and navigate to the required application.
          If it is not listed, use the Add button and set it up.

(Though in XP the right click method should work, and it's easier)
          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-10-08, 23:15.

Researching:

Comment

Trevor

I don't get the Open with option. I have Windows Vista and have found the long list of file exensons, but it doesn't have .ged which is the file Wendy sent me.

Comment

Try this
              Right click the file
              select Properties
              Click on the General tab
              Select Type Of File
              Then Change
              Choose a program from the list of reccomended programmes or click Browse to select one.

Information from
              Windows Vista Tips, Security, Downloads, Features, News, Views, & More
              Run by professional Microsoft users

Researching:

Comment

Trevor

It doesn't say any of that

It says

Open
                Print
                Save as
                Save all
                Quick view
                Add
                Remove

and only Open is in bold.

Comment

You are right clicking on the attachment.
                  You need to save it to your PC first before right clicking on it

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  Trevor

It doesn't say any of that

It says

Open
                  Print
                  Save as
                  Save all
                  Quick view
                  Add
                  Remove

and only Open is in bold.

Researching:

Comment

I tried using the link you gave but when I click on Properties (from the File tab) it doesn't look like the one on the website!!!!

Would it be possible for Wendy to send it again with a different file extension? What would you suggest?

Comment

Just seen your last post. Will try. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Just been following this thread and hoping for an answer. I have the same message as Nell when I try and open a .pdf attached to an email (I have Vista - Windows Mail). The only way I can open it is to save it as an attachment, then go into word then open it - its a right pain!!

Jxx

Comment

If the association is created in Vista
                          it should automatically open in the chosen when clicked on

Follow the thread and see if you have it created correctly

(yawn, time for bed now)

Trev

Originally posted by jules of the desert View Post
                          Just been following this thread and hoping for an answer. I have the same message as Nell when I try and open a .pdf attached to an email (I have Vista - Windows Mail). The only way I can open it is to save it as an attachment, then go into word then open it - its a right pain!!

Jxx

Researching:

Comment

Thanks Trev

Oooh the penny has dropped:o. So the reason I can't open the .pdf is because the sender is not on Vista - got it now. Thanks

Night Night

Jxx

Comment

Nell, if Trevor's suggestion hasn't worked (although I can't see why it shouldn't), what about saving the gedcom attachment to your computer, then opening your family tree program and opening the file in that?

(in FTM, click on File > Open, and then browse (using "Look in:") to find the saved gedcom file attachment)
                              Last edited by Cloggie; 20-10-08, 06:16.
                              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by jules of the desert View Post
                                Thanks Trev

Oooh the penny has dropped:o. So the reason I can't open the .pdf is because the sender is not on Vista - got it now. Thanks

Night Night

Jxx

It has nothing to do with the sender, but the program associated with the file type on your computer. To summarise Trevor's instructions (hope you don't mind Trev! ) :

First, you need to save the file (attachment) to your PC.
                                Then:
                                right-click on the file
                                select Open with
                                Navigate/Browse to the application you use to read the file (= Adobe Reader for PDF files)
                                Put a tick in the "always open with this program" box (in Vista, tick the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" box)

This should work in both XP and Vista.
                                Alternatively, see Trevor's instructions in post #5.

I wonder if the reason you can't open PDF files is because you haven't got Adobe Reader installed? If that's the case, you can download it here: Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions
                                Last edited by Cloggie; 20-10-08, 07:09.
                                Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah
                                  She has summerised exactly what you need there Jules

Researching:

Comment

Nell, I hope you managed to open the gedcom. Let me know if you still have problems.
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hallo

I've done it by going into my PAF and creating a new file!

Off to digest the info now!

Comment

It's looking good, thank you so much Wendy!

Comment

Working...
                                        X