Help needed in uncovering burial place in Hyde area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed in uncovering burial place in Hyde area

I discovered recently that my great great grandfather George Ashworth died aged 37 in Hyde in 1901. I searched the Tameside Cemeteries Burial site for him in Hyde Cem with zilch results and emailed them as I did not know how complete the online version is but they informed me that there was no record of him.

I am waiting for Stockport Cemeteries Office to come back to me. He married in a civil service (he and the bride were of age which leads me to believe they were possibly non-conformists)

Apart from names and census info I know very little about my great gran Amy Ashworth, her siblings and parents. At some point Amy came to Oldham where she married my great grandad.

Anyone got any further ideas on how I can find out where he and probably the rest of the Ashworth clan are buried?

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Gosh, George, I thought for a minute you wanted to borrow a shovel, lol! Sorry.

He may not have been buried, he may have been cremated, of course, or buried in a family grave hundreds of miles away.

If you have his death cert, then can I suggest you trawl local papers for a death notice, which may say something helpful like "and afterwards at Bloggs Crematorium" or whatever, or give you the name of a local Undertaker.

It was usual to put a death notice in the paper before the funeral, and another one afterwards, giving a list of the mourners and a precis of the life of the deceased.

I have one such which gave me the interesting information that, though she had been married to her second husband for 40-odd years, she was to be buried with her first husband, in another town.

OC

Comment

Working...
    X