How does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this happen?

When my kids are playing some online or download games the pc turns itself off then reboots. How can a game do this?

Presumably the kids didn't press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice or something like that? Could it be that the computer crashed because it ran out of memory?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No they didn't press ctrl alt del. It only happens with certain online or download games. Some games are okay. It may be the memory but I uninstall and delete regularly.

Comment

I meant RAM rather than storage space on the hard disk, so I don't thinki uninstalling and deleting would make much difference to that.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hmm, I'm not very techie minded but as far as I know there is quite a lot of RAM and it's okay with everything else, just these games. Could it be anything to do with the ISP. We were with AOL and now Carphone Warehouse who blame Internet Explorer.

Comment

Could you try using Firefox instead, maybe? But I thought you said it also happened with some offline games?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Have you checked the minimum specification the offline sites say you need to run them?

KR could be right with the RAM, but they could also be stretching your video too far, thus crashing your PC

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help. I will mess about and see what the spec is and try to sort things out. I think Firefox might be a good idea too.

Comment

If it is a 'quality' game, it would have been written to work in any browser.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                  X