IGI Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI Records

I feel i should know the answer to this silly question.

I have just found a baptism, listed in the "International Genealogical Index" on Family search, would these be extracted or submitted?

I am hopeing for extracted as this will help break one side of a brick wall for this couple

Thank you for any help

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

It normally says on the record whether it is extracted or submitted.
    Do you want to have another look at it to see if it is there - or give us the name and details so we can check.
    Elaine

Comment

It say niether Elaine, that why i asked.

Frances Selina Stroud baptised 19 April 1870 Swindon Wiltshire

Thank you for looking

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Umm - it's a batch number starting with I !:o

I can do batch numbers starting with A C D E J or H - but no idea about I.

Sorry.
        Elaine

Comment

Hopefully someone will know about I batch numbers then, thank you

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

If you don't have them Her father was Joseph Stroud and mother Esther and there was another daughter Martha Esther Baptised 23 Feb 1869.
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America

scroll down for batch number explanations. Cs are baptisms, Ms marriages and there are some miscellaneous ones. Hugh hasn't included I numbers and he says that numbers not listed here are ones that are less unreliable as they are personal submissions.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Daphne and Nell, Frances married George Robotham in 1891 in Derby, i have not got further back than their marriage (no cert as yet).

Daphne where did you find that other baptism please

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

I think that I batches are often taken from printed indexes and the like - if you search the IGI entering the batch number but nothing else to get a sample of the batch then you may get a good idea of what kind of stuff is included - for instance are they all Swindon baptisms from around the same date, in which case it is probably accurate (though you should still check it with the PR's, of course), or are they from all over the place, in which case it could be from somebody's own research.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sylvia, when you see the name you want and click on it the page that comes up next has a batch number at the bottom.
                    If you click on it it will open another search page. I just put the surname in there and all folk baptised with that name in that church are listed.
                    You can then click on each name and get the extra information. Good for working out families sometimes.
                    5 names came up on the list of baptisms and there were 2 other sets of parents, George Stroud and Martha and John Stroud and Emma.
                    I'd guess they are all from the same family but obviously you'll have to check that out.
                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Thank you Kite, i have just put the batch number, British Isles and England in, with no names, it came up with only baptisms for Swindon, all female. Is that what you mean

Sylvia
                      Sylvia

Comment

AH i though you could only do that with C and M batches, thank you

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                          Thank you Kite, i have just put the batch number, British Isles and England in, with no names, it came up with only baptisms for Swindon, all female. Is that what you mean

Sylvia
                          Yes, that's what I meant, Sylvia. It sounds as though it is likely to be right then.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There's an odd thing about the IGI which I think came up a while ago, which is that many extracted baptisms are for females only. I had thought that various of my ancestors had managed to produce an extraordinary number of females, because the males were left out!

I've since managed to acquire a few more sons for parents, by checking the original registers.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you, i should be able to get back futher with the census for Frances and her family now

Sylvia
                              Sylvia

Comment

Please remember that the "I" batches were subject to the whims of the transcriber (as are all transcribed records of course).

I know of one LDS transcriber who never transcribes illegitimate baptisms, for instance.

I also know that the baptism of my 2 x GGF was doctored in the transcription, to make him the child of his married parents. In fact, a look at the original register showed that he was the illegitimate son of another family member!

(Perhaps the "I" stands for "Idiosyncratic transcribing" lol)

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X