For all those Vista users who say "my PC is slow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all those Vista users who say "my PC is slow"

Sections taken from a document on Vista that Microsoft published on its Web site in May
    “Hardware Performance
    We‟ve heard some of you say that Windows Vista runs slower than Windows XP on a given PC. So what‟s really happening here? First, we need to avoid comparing apples to oranges
    Windows Vista is doing a lot more than Windows XP, and it requires resources to conduct these tasks. That said, it is important to make sure a PC running Windows Vista has enough horsepower to function properly, especially for older PCs running a minimal amount of RAM, since the Windows Vista footprint is larger, bottlenecks will occur.”

“When standardizing on Windows Vista operating systems—many organizations have found that 2 or more GB of RAM, 2 GHz or faster processors, and compatible graphics adapters yield good results.”
    So they are saying that the minimum specs that they originally advised are not really good enough

And if you are thinking of changing from XP to Vista, don't
    As in 2009 they will be issuing yet another operating system to replace it called Windows 7.

In both cases, they are geared for the business user with more security built in to stop employees changing settings.
    For the general home user, stick to XP and wait until Microsoft get it right in the first place. ;)

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

I Wish my OH had read that before he went ahead & bought Vista :(

Comment

Like many of the students in my college, people just get it because 'it is the latest version', then they find that the old one was just as good.

With any new versions of software, you need to wait, see what problems others have, see it in action (not just in the shop), then decide if you need it or not.

Just look at all the threads on FTM and its problems.
      2006 works fine, so what is the point of purchasing the latest as soon as it came out, then find it was full of 'bugs'.

Even with Vista, Microsoft admitted that they had tested it with full administrator rights open, and not considered that 80% would not have those in the workplace.
      That's why my college purchased 300 new PCs, but insisted that it had XP installed not Vista!

Just like my comment on the thread about 'speeding up PCs'

"if it ain't broke..................don't fix it"
      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-10-08, 19:01.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

My old computer was slow so my son chose a new computer for me... it ihas Vista and I do not find it as user friendly as XP..
        I thought that everything would be the same except with more memory...but the type on the pages on here and other sites is much smaller.
        Also quite often on Ancestry the first census page is small and needs to be enlarged to be read
        Connected me scanner to the original software and it refuses to scan on any setting other than colour..
        Lots of little things which with someone with a knowledge of computers could be corrected...but my old XP worked fine
        I am still thinking of reconnecting my old one even though it is noisier...but my son says stick with it and I will get used to it

Comment

Forgive me if your have already tried this, but the size of the type can be easily cured by using the commands on your browser menu bar.
          View > Text Size
          Then choose a larger size.

Otherwise it could even be that you PC screen is running in a high resolution (how many dots that make up the screen).
          High resolution gives a sharp image, but everything is 'smaller'

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
          My old computer was slow so my son chose a new computer for me... it ihas Vista and I do not find it as user friendly as XP..
          I thought that everything would be the same except with more memory...but the type on the pages on here and other sites is much smaller.
          Also quite often on Ancestry the first census page is small and needs to be enlarged to be read
          Connected me scanner to the original software and it refuses to scan on any setting other than colour..
          Lots of little things which with someone with a knowledge of computers could be corrected...but my old XP worked fine
          I am still thinking of reconnecting my old one even though it is noisier...but my son says stick with it and I will get used to it

Researching:

Comment

Colin;
            What is the make and model of your scanner?
            Visit the manufacturers websit to see if they have 'updated drivers' to make it work correctly in Vista.
            Also, a simple Using Vista tutorial can be found here

do not click on the text links, as they are just advert traps.
            Use the next and back arrows at the bottom of the page to scroll through it
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-10-08, 20:49.

Researching:

Comment

Trevor, We all liked XP but for some reason 'Choice' was not an option.
              I may have mentioned before that I had a PC built for me with XP in August 2006 and the PC was rubbish. While the shop were trying to repair it I was three months without one.
              I tried to buy a new PC from Dell as I understood that they still sold XP but this was only available on business machines.
              After paying out for a NEW PC in August 2007 no way did I wish to employ someone to take vista off and put XP on. I also had the guarantee to consider. It is OK for the computer buff!
              Before all this happened I always considered that Vista was only here to fill a gap rather like the Millenium edition or Windows 2000.
              This is why we need support now that we are lumbered with Vista.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Been watching snooker... my scanner is old it is an Epson Perfection 640U inherited when my son left home..I treated myself to a new monitor a couple of years back and that is a LG Flatron Slim I liked it because it tilts in a few ways .

I have it connected to Picassa but recipients of my e-mails with attached scans find that the reduced size make them useless.. but that was also the case with my old computer so it must be the programme

Comment

Colin
                  Epson do have a specific Vista driver for your Scanner
                  TWAIN 5 Driver v5.71A
                  Epson Perfection 640U, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Margaret
                    That's the problem with purchasing from a larger retailier.
                    They put on the operating system that they get paid the most by the company to use.

I remember PC World putting a system called OS2 Warp on their PCs, as IBM paid them more than Microsoft to do it.

The smaller dealer can customise for you at the time of purchase
                    Lesson is, if they try to trap you into their choice of operating system....walk away.
                    If they really want your custom, the will install the alternative and give a warrenty.

The people I really feel for are those who 'upgraded' (there's a joke) to Vista

Researching:

Comment

Reduced size/poor quality means that you are scanning them incorrectly.

Resolution is most probably the problem.
                      Too small a resolution (DPI = Dots Per Inch) and they are very grainy
                      Too small a colour depth and they are blotchy

Online user guide is here for your scanner
                      Reference Guide

Been watching snooker... my scanner is old it is an Epson Perfection 640U inherited when my son left home..I treated myself to a new monitor a couple of years back and that is a LG Flatron Slim I liked it because it tilts in a few ways .

I have it connected to Picassa but recipients of my e-mails with attached scans find that the reduced size make them useless.. but that was also the case with my old computer so it must be the programme

Researching:

Comment

I have had a look at the guide.. Will have another look tomorrow as there is a lot of information there

Comment

two mains ones for you would be
                          Scanning from the Full Auto Mode
                          Scanning from the Manual Mode

Auto you just choose the type of output
                          Manual lets you change settings for size and also do selective section scans of a document

I have had a look at the guide.. Will have another look tomorrow as there is a lot of information there

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                            Reduced size/poor quality means that you are scanning them incorrectly.
                            If it is specifically a problem with reduced size of attachments, it could be that you're sending the wrong attachment size. In Outlook you have a choice of whether to e-mail image file attachments at original, large, medium or small size. Make sure you send at "original" size to avoid reducing the size/quality of your original scan.
                            Sarah

Comment

Trevor,

I thought that I had explained that Choice was not an option after three months waiting for my almost new PC to be repaired - built by a local company I had to go to PCW.

I would never trust a small trader again I was badly let down at a very large cost. The PC cost me twice the price of the one from PCW and I thought that I was getting real quality but sadly not so. I still have my XP CD's but could not find a PC to use them on.

I think that my husband thought that I had left home as I spent most days away in the library using a PC so had to get it sorted. I am surprised that the library did not charge me for board and lodgings.
                              Last edited by Margaret N; 20-10-08, 09:44.
                              Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I recently purchased a new laptop. It too came with Vista, but my son, who works as an IT Systems Technician, replaced it with XP. I wouldn't have dared do it myself.
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

yes vista has a few issues, but don't forget XP was no saint when it was released, and had many more incompatibilities...

you cannot compare XP and Vista in the same way as one is a 'mature' product and the other is still relatively new..

No matter where you buy your PC from, you are perfectly entitled to put whatever operating system on it you like.. but dont forget that the retailer's support for that PC will be more than likely be based around the operating system it was supplied with, so if it isnt 'quite running right', they are likely to ask you to put the original OS back on..

in a perfect world, all PCs would be supplied without an operating system and it would be up to the customer to choose their prefered OS and install it... but customers want a product that they can take out of the box, plug it in, and it works.. so we have the current model of PC's supplied with an OS pre-installed....

XP is no longer offered by major retailers as it costs more and the 'relative' consumer customer base is too small.

Change happens folks, it is unavoidable.. changes on the scale of XP to Vista are pretty small fry, 98/Me to XP was far bigger (and more problematic)... without changes like this in the world of computers, none of us would be here posting.........

LEGAL NOTE: If installing an operating system other than the one supplied, you MUST ensure you have an appropriate licence to do so.. In the case of XP or Vista (on a consumer PC - business licencing can be different) this is the CoA sticker supplied when you purchased the discs. Without this sticker, even if you have the product key, you do not have a licence to use the operating system.
                                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Grimsqueaker, What an interesting article which I am sure many will find useful. I know that I was restricted in some way with the XP cd's to only be able to re-install them after a PC failure so many times. I think it was about three times but then I am not into that line of business.
                                    I notice that these very small pocket computers come with XP or similar I suppose because it is now out of date.
                                    Thank you all for the discussion on the subject which I hope all have enjoyed. I think we can put the matter to rest now and move on to our moans and groans of Vista again.
                                    This is great site and the experts come to our aid so willingly ~ thank you.
                                    Margaret N

Comment

Thats OK Margaret.... personally I am looking forward to the moans and groans about Windows 7 when people realise it has built on the features of Vista, and they suddenly find that the transition from XP to 7 is even more stressful than the transistion to Vista would have been...
                                      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                                      X