Finding people after 1901.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding people after 1901.

I'm trying to find a few more people from this will.

The trouble is the will was written in 1919 and nearly everyone mentioned is female. Only one is named as "Miss", so not sure if the others are married names or single names.

I've tried the census, but there's either none or hundreds, and I've no way of checking. They may not even be related.

Are there electoral rolls online or phone books from that time??

Ancestry have british phone books 1880-1984 on line but I don't know the coverage
    L

Comment

OK.....I'm new at this recent stuff...

I have a couple of addresses so that will help. Unfortunately they are not there in 1901.

Comment

Libby

Electoral Rolls aren't on line, and anyway, most females wouldn't have the vote back then, unless they were freeholders, in which case they could vote in Borough elections. Trade/Post Office directories might be more useful but you would need to know an area, of course.

I know it would be tedious, but what about trying to identify marriages - you say you don't know if they were married or not, but GENERALLY, married women in wills are referred to as "my niece Susan, the wife of John Smith". Always an exception I suppose, though.

OC

Comment

OC.....this will has one Mrs Osmond Brock (subject of another thread) and Miss Gertrude Devensh (I'll try to find her because she is a great niece). Mrs Elizabeth E Cooke of Bournemouth and Mrs Mary Howard of St Leonards. All the others are just...

Agnes Wright of California (I know her)
          Mary Gleed of Spalding
          Mary Edmonds of Fontmell Magna
          Madeleine Gandell of Earls Court
          Constance Ariel Ward....another great niece.

The others are all Italian.

Apart from the executors and I think I have them sorted.

Comment

Harrys mum,
            I did a quick search on 192.com and found 4 schools in Spalding with the name Gleed in their title so the family is reknowned locally. You might find the local library helpful or maybe contact the schools for information on their founders.

Comment

There's an entry for Emma Gleed born 1870 Long Sutton, Spalding on Genesreunited so it might be worth contacting the tree owner to see if they know anything that can help.

Comment

There's an entry for Madeleine M Gandell age 45 on the 1901 census in Littlehampton Sussex
                RG13 P:962, F:100, P:11
                She is with her husband Thomas P aged 47 a solicitor and their 4 children. They are listed under a sub heading - Visitors in house.
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-10-08, 13:41.

Comment

There's a marriage on Ancestry
                  Dec 1884 Tonbridge vol 2a, page 1084 showing
                  Thomas Pearse Gandell
                  Madeleine Mary Clark
                  Annie Gaston
                  Joseph Augustine Gribbin
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-10-08, 15:05.

Comment

There's a marriage on Ancestry
                    Sep 1890 Shardlow Vol 7b, page 666
                    Mary Benbough Clark
                    John Wilson Gleed
                    Rowland Wade
                    Emma Young

Comment

John W Gleed a Wine& Spirit Merchant and wife Mary B are on the 1901 census
                      RG13 P:3032, F:160, P:12
                      They are living in Spalding although Mary is shown as born in Kegworth, Leicestershire.There are 3 children.

Comment

And not long to wait now until the 1911 census - they're saying some time next year: Welcome to the official 1911 Census website.

Otherwise, the British Library has comprehensive electoral rolls but they're not online. However, until 1918 single women only had a vote if they were over 30. They wouldn't necessarily be on the register until 1928, when everyone over 21 was included.

Comment

Mary B Clark is on the 1871 census in Kegworth with her parents Joseph and Sarah A Clark. Joseph is the Rector of Kegworth age 56 born Bristol.

Comment

Thank you so much, Margaretmarch.................

The Clark will probably be the link. Joseph and Sarah are definitely correct.

Can I ask how you found them on Ancestry???? I was going to start trawling today.....so please tell me you haven't been doing that for the last few hours.

I put some names into FreeBMD but got so many possibles, I thought I'b be better trawling.

Comment

Hi, No I just looked for both under their names in 1901 using the places as a clue and found they had husbands so then checked the marriage index and was pleased to see they had Clark as maiden names, knowing from your earlier threads that this would be the link.
                              Margaret

Comment

Thank you......................

I've only had Ancetsry two YEARS!!!! You'd think I could use it better by now.

Comment

if you go onto familia site ( british libraries network) you can obtain phone numbers and adys for the local library to an area - you could try and ask them to do a manual lookup on an old electoral role or trade directory for that time -some do some dont.

Comment

Thank you.....

Comment

This could be the death for John V A Gleed shown in the 1901 family
                                      John Gleed
                                      Birth Date: 13 Sep 1897
                                      Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 1984
                                      Age at death (estimated): 86
                                      Registration district: Bristol
                                      Inferred County: Gloucestershire
                                      Volume: 22
                                      Page: 496
                                      You might get some info on living people from the death cert, or at least a more recent lead.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Marriages Sep 1863
                                        Clark Rosalie Eyre Clifton 6a 283
                                        Devenish John Hoppus Clifton 6a 283

Comment

Working...
                                        X