For all you sleuths on here.
    I have a Susannah Wilcox born 1892 Leeds
    The info i have obtained from BMD site.

There are 2 marriages listed
    1. 1897 Rotherham..only 5 yrs
    2. 1904 West Bromwich....12 yrs.
    A tad young but was it possible.
    Cannot find any death as yet .
    She seems to fade into oblivion unless she is the child bride.

Her sister Annie is my G'ma on dads side.
    MUM Jayne
    DAD Samuel
    Any help as always greatly app'

Susannah Wilcox
    Her dad is Samuel born 1866 High Wycombe Bucks'
    On the 1881 census (Free to search) he is down as G'son age 15
    Could someone do a search of earlier census to try and find who his parents/mother could be please.
    EDI.
    Last edited by Englishedith; 19-10-08, 13:14. Reason: Update

1929 legal age for marriage increased from 14 males and 12 females to 16 for both (parental consent still required up to age 21.
    Hi its quite possible

Comment

I think you would have to trawl through the complete index for marriages, quarter by quarter, year by year. Even if you found one with the right name you couldn't be sure it is the correct one without buying the certificate.
      Elaine

Comment

I'm astounded they were so young. How on earth did they look after themselves ?

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        1929 legal age for marriage increased from 14 males and 12 females to 16 for both (parental consent still required up to age 21.
        Hi its quite possible

Comment

Do you know that she married at all? many young women from her generation didn't, particularly because of the numbers of men who died in WW1.

I think it would be very rare for a girl to marry that young at that date even if it was legal.

If she married after around 1925 then you will have to search the GRO indexes Q by Q. The same goes for a death. If you don't know whether she moved from that area then you might be stumped.

Comment

I have nearly 7,000 people on my tree and no one married under the age of 17 that I have found!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              I think you would have to trawl through the complete index for marriages, quarter by quarter, year by year. Even if you found one with the right name you couldn't be sure it is the correct one without buying the certificate.
              Thankyou Ealaine and Val . Will try the 12 yr old route then see if i can get anything from the males side.
              Should keep me out of mischief the winter nights.
              Edi.

Comment

Do you know who her parents were? She's on the 1901 census:

Susannah Wilcox 8 Yorks Leeds Yorkshire Leeds Juvenile

but I can't see her yet on Ancestry.

Comment

probably this one Merry
                  RG13; Piece: 4237; Folio: 44; Page: 13.

Parents Jane & Samuel
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    I have nearly 7,000 people on my tree and no one married under the age of 17 that I have found!
                    Thanks Merry
                    The 12 yr old one is for West Bromwich so she could have gone into service Will look into that Marriage to find out the grooms age.
                    Edi.

Comment

I do have a girl who eloped at 13 in my (step-)family tree - and went on to have at least 11 children with the man she married so young. So yes, possible, but highly unlikely I'd imagine (and hope).

Comment

Sorry slow typer.
                        DAD Samuel MUM Jayne

Comment

I think the 1905 marriage is more likely to be for Susan Wilcox born 1885 Oldbury.
                          Registration district for Oldbury is West Bromwich.

1901 census : RG13; Piece: 2716; Folio: 175; Page: 16.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            I think the 1905 marriage is more likely to be for Susan Wilcox born 1885 Oldbury.
                            Registration district for Oldbury is West Bromwich.

1901 census : RG13; Piece: 2716; Folio: 175; Page: 16.
                            Thanks Elaine at least i can let that one go then.

Comment

I have two definate young marriages in my Tree, one is 15 and one 17,not quite as young as yours.
                              regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                              for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
                                I do have a girl who eloped at 13 in my (step-)family tree - and went on to have at least 11 children with the man she married so young. So yes, possible, but highly unlikely I'd imagine (and hope).
                                Hi Zoe,
                                Wow so young
                                They must have been really in love .
                                Edi

Comment

It's nice that they stayed together for all of their lives, although it's impossible to know whether they were happy

Comment

Sorry for delay in reply to anyone who posted. my computor froze and i had to reboot. seems to be o.k. now.
                                    EDI.

Comment

Merry, yes thats her and her family but thats all i have .
                                      Her sister Annie married my g'dad she was in her early 20's but he was in his 50's
                                      So i thought the 12 yr old could have been a possibility but alas
                                      Oh well here goes for the GRO.

Comment

Marriage at age 12 would be the last resort of the dirt poor, I would imagine.

A father might give his permission for the marriage (or indeed, possibly arrange such a marriage, usually to a much older man, yuk,) if the family were heading for the workhouse perhaps, or the daughter was just one too many mouths to feed.

I do have one marriage in the late 1700s, where the bride was barely 13 and the groom not quite 14! Both were from farming families, who took a very casual view of illegitimate children, so there was no need for haste and must have been love! Either that, or both families viewed this as a very good marriage in terms of inheritance.

They stayed together and had umpteen children.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X