Never been able to find him on the 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never been able to find him on the 1901

GUncle Allen (Allan) James Hallett born Brighton Sussex 1881 marries in 1904

Fascinating "residence at time of marriage", 28 St James's Street, Piccadilly is Boodles Club

Where was he in 1901?

La plus perdue de toutes les journees est celle ou l'on n'a pas ri
    Chamfort

The most completely wasted of all days are those on which we have not laughed

Hi Cherry,

Could this be him?

Allan J F Hallett abt 1878 Southborough, Kent, England Brother Battersea, London

Zoe

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
      Hi Cherry,

Could this be him?

Allan J F Hallett abt 1878 Southborough, Kent, England Brother Battersea, London

Zoe

The surname of that one is Clarke on the actual page. :o

Comment

Thank you Zoe but I don't think that's him as I've got his 5 brothers and two sisters on the 1901 so the description brother wouldn't fit (unless of course he was a brother in law) I appreciate your having looked and certainly won't dismiss the possibility.

Chamfort

Comment

This looks like him with match for father's details, in 1881, to give birthplace details:

Henry HALLETT Head M Male 32 Rotherfield, Sussex, England Carpenter
          Sarah Jane HALLETT Wife M Female 34 Lewes, Sussex, England Carpenter Wife
          Arthur HALLETT Son U Male 8 Lewes, Sussex, England Scholar
          Chas HALLETT Son U Male 6 Lewes, Sussex, England Scholar
          Walter HALLETT Son U Male 4 Brighton, Sussex, England
          Albert HALLETT Son U Male 2 Brighton, Sussex, England
          >>>Allan HALLETT Son U Male 4 m Brighton, Sussex, England
          Charlotte BRAY Mother W Female 57 East Dean, Sussex, England Nurse (SM)

So as 1881 census was taken 3 April, then Allan would have been born about Dec 1880.
          Last edited by Little Nell; 18-10-08, 13:09.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yep, the registration was Q4 1880 (I did all the wrong searches to find it lol)

Comment

OK, I've searched for male Halletts and for all All*ns born within a year of 1881 born in Sussex, without success.

Comment

ditto!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  The surname of that one is Clarke on the actual page. :o

Lol, well it's definitely not him then.

He died on the 3/5/1917. Commonwealth War Dead and his memorial reference at Arras Memorial gives his details as "Son of Henry and Sarah Jane Hallett of Brighton, husband of Florence Rachel Hallett"

Chamfort

Comment

I know I always say this, but Boer War??

Or maybe he was the servant of someone (reading the marriage cert occ) who was overseas?

Comment

I share your frustration. I have a gt gt gt uncle who disappears in 1881, though he's in the same place in 1871 and 1891. He must be badly mistranscribed or just missed!

Comment

Could be like Lord Peter Wimsey's Bunter, officer's batman in the Boer War and becomes his "gentleman's gentleman" on their return to civvy street. That could explain their place of residence at marriage.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Elaine and Nell

He's a really elusive one is my GUncle.

All I can assume is that if he was working at Boodles in 1901 it's possible that he was abroad with his master?

He was back in England in 1902 when he was a witness to my Grandparents' marriage, lol

Chamfort

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Could be like Lord Peter Wimsey's Bunter, officer's batman in the Boer War and becomes his "gentleman's gentleman" on their return to civvy street. That could explain their place of residence at marriage.

Sorry Uncle John, I left my "post" and went upstairs searching out more certs. Yes, that's quite possible isn't it.

We refer to his wife as "Fascinating Florence". A widow when she married Allan, after his death she went on to marry another three times and her GNephew tells us that she kept the house each time, lol

Chamfort

Comment

Originally posted by Cherry Tradewell View Post
                              We refer to his wife as "Fascinating Florence". A widow when she married Allan, after his death she went on to marry another three times and her GNephew tells us that she kept the house each time, lol
                              Not "ev'ry one was an 'Enery", then :D:D

Comment

Not "ev'ry one was an 'Enery", then :D:D

Oh but they were Uncle John:D right back to 1740!! There's not been at least one 'Enery in one form or another:D

Chamfort

Comment

How about Willies and Sams then?

Comment

Ooops, I should say it's in name only.

Only 'Enery who married more than once was my GGrandfather and that's probably because he was widowed at a young age and had 8 children, bless him

Chamfort

Comment

How about Willies and Sams then?
                                      No, haven't got Willies or Sams but I do have a Daisy and I presume she gave her answer to Frank. However then Frank's sister Edith gave her answer to GGrandad 'Enery:D

Chamfort

Comment

Lots of Halletts fought in the Boer War, but I can't see an (Allan) James.

sotq data searcher

Comment

Working...
                                        X