adoption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adoption?

I am trying to trace details on a family member.

We know that she came to live with her real mother at age approx 7 and took on the surname of the man her mother had married and lived with and he brought her up as his own.

before age 7 we believe she must've lived with her real father (who we guess was some lord of the manor who her mother was a servant for and they got "involved" and had a child tog.)

now i cannot find her birth certificate as i'm guessing it must hold her with the surname of her real father, but the maiden name we all knew her by was of the man her mother married who was not her real father.

she is no longer alive so we can't ask her, but seems her mother never discussed it with her and she died never knowing the truth anyway.

how do i go about tracing her birth certificate please?

can anyone help?

thank you

Jackie

As she is no longer alive, can you post the name you knew her by, and the likely year of her birth (and an area would be good!)

Where did the Lord of the Manor story come from? How do you know she wasn't fostered out, or lived with grandparents or other relatives?

OC

Comment

hi

her name was Inez Rose Lunn (the surname is not her biological father's name) she was born 11/6/1923 in cardiff; and died 23/1/1998 in glynneath, west glamorgan. Married Stephen Williams 28/3/1944.

How would you go about searching this please?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Jackie

Where did the Lord of the Manor story come from? How do you know she wasn't fostered out, or lived with grandparents or other relatives?

OC

True, I never thought of this. the lord of the manor story comes from family members...not sure if there's any truth in it......you know how chinese whispers work.

Comment

If she was illegitimate, it would have been most likely she would have been registered under her mother's maiden name.
          "Lord of the Manor" stories are often fanciful. Most servants producing a baby without a husband would have been slung out. The illegitimate children in my family tree were generally left with grandparents while their mothers worked in service to earn their keep.

Its most likely that happened here, and that her mother claimed her when she had a proper home to bring her up in. A "lord of the manor" would have been able to provide a much better home and if willing to keep the child initially, would probably be reluctant to let her go just because her mother had married. I think it unlikely he would have kept the child and banished the mother.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Inez R Morgan

Registered June qtr 1923 Cardiff
            11a 676

Comment

I take it you have searched the birth registers and come up with nothing?

If so, I would contact the Registrar at Cardiff and ask him to search for a birth on that date (always bearing in mind the birthdate may not be correct - you won't know until you find her birth cert!). You have a nice unusual first name to help!

Do you have her marriage cert? Who does she say is her father?

It may be quite difficult to find out about her early life as there are no census available for her - the 1931 census was destroyed in a fire and no census was taken in 1941, but she was presumably living with her mother anyway on both those occasions, so that wouldn't help.

I questioned the Lord of the Manor story because it is SUCH a common one! No servant girl ever seems to have got pregnant to the butcher's boy or the under gardener, it is always the Master at the Big House! It sounded so much better and the neighbours were far more understanding about the Master having his wicked way with an innocent girl.

OC

Comment

Oh, well done Margaret, while I was waffling on!!!

OC

Comment

Name: Inez R Morgan
                  Year of Registration: 1923
                  Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
                  Mother's Maiden Name: Morgan
                  District: Cardiff (1837-1974)
                  County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire
                  Volume: 11a
                  Page: 676

but spookily there's another one the prev Q:

Name: Inez R Morgan
                  Year of Registration: 1923
                  Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                  District: Cardiff (1837-1974)
                  County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire
                  Volume: 11A
                  Page: see S'1933

and that directs us to Q3 1933......One moment!

Comment

Death

Inez Rose Williams
                    birth date 11 Jun 1923
                    Death reg Jan 1998 age 74
                    Neath and Port Talbot, West Glamorgan
                    B56D
                    8961B

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      If she was illegitimate, it would have been most likely she would have been registered under her mother's maiden name.
                      "Lord of the Manor" stories are often fanciful. Most servants producing a baby without a husband would have been slung out. The illegitimate children in my family tree were generally left with grandparents while their mothers worked in service to earn their keep.

Its most likely that happened here, and that her mother claimed her when she had a proper home to bring her up in. A "lord of the manor" would have been able to provide a much better home and if willing to keep the child initially, would probably be reluctant to let her go just because her mother had married. I think it unlikely he would have kept the child and banished the mother.

thanks for that..you've given me ideas to research now...I will try to find out when her mother married her "father". and i will check up if her birth was registered under her mother's maiden name.

thanks again. :D

Comment

Oooh I didn't check that one out Merry, I did see it but just thought it was a duplication

Comment

In Q3 of 1933 there's a birth reg for Inez R Lunn!

Mmn Morgan (so there prob won't be a father on the original cert as there's only the one birth reg - there would be another index entry with dad's name if he was on the cert)

Cardiff 11a 458

Comment

Inez R Lunn
                            mmn Morgan

Cardiff 11a 458
                            Sep qtr 1933

Comment

snap Merry

Comment

Originally posted by jackiex_x View Post
                                thanks for that..you've given me ideas to research now...I will try to find out when her mother married her "father". and i will check up if her birth was registered under her mother's maiden name.

thanks again. :D
                                Jackie

The birth was registered under her mother maiden name in 1923 and again under her step fathers name in 1933, see previous posts.

Comment

So, this isn't an adoption, is it?

I thought you would see entries like this where a child was illegitimate, the parents married and then they wanted the child re-registered with the father's name.

I'm a bit confused?!!!

Comment

Actually, it sounds to me as if Mr Lunn WAS her father! Why would the birth be re-registered otherwise? This is not an in family adoption.

If you send for any of those three birth registrations, you will get the 1933 re-registration one, which OUGHT to tell you the reason for re-registration. Change of surname by Deed Poll is a remote possibility, of course.

However, I would love to see the two 1923 certificates, as I very much suspect the first gave the father's name, and the second struck it out!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                      Jackie

The birth was registered under her mother maiden name in 1923 and again under her step fathers name in 1933, see previous posts.

wow thank you ..how did you find this info out??? how can I do it to save asking all the time on these forums?? lol

She was defo born june 1923 - mother's maiden name was Morgan (ive just found a record 11a 576 - different to one you said - how come?)

how did you find the 1933 one and what surname was that please?

Comment

be interesting to try and track the whereabouts of Mr Lunn when Inez was born.
                                        Jess

Comment

Working...
                                        X