Where shall I look for London Portrait artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where shall I look for London Portrait artists

Please I have tried google and ask ,it just comes up with his name Adolphus H A Wing and that a miniature was sold by Sotheby's in 1998. I would like to try and find out about him.

sunny rosy

What sort of stuff were you after? he's on all the censuses

d 1906 in Bournemouth b abt 1822

Comment

Married Happy Goodchild in 1842.

Comment

This shows one of his paintings

Wellcome-images

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Merry. Yes I have that info, when I saw that he was a portrait and miniature artist I wondered if he was well known, and googled. Only the above info came up and I thought he may have been on a par with Constable , if related to my friend!!!!! I wondered if there is another search engine I could use??

sunny rosy

Comment

Jay thanks so much I'll have a look for any more on that site.

sunny rosy

Comment

Rosy

It might be worth contacting the National Portrait Gallery. They are sure to have a miniature expert on the staff, I would have thought.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I wonder if this means it's a photo of Adolphus as he wasn't a photographer?

Details unknown. Photograph is by Wake & Baum 1317/7A No Date
                Reverse of 1317/7A. It reads: Mr Adolphus Wing 48, Piccadilly, Entrance in Albany Yard. 1317/8 No Date

These documents are held at Greater Manchester County Record Office

Contents:
                Negative Sheet Number Y/45/32

(found on TNA main index)

Comment

Forget my last post! He was a photographer!

Quote from:

Daily News (London, England), Friday, August 21, 1863; Issue 5393

Photography of the highest class. Carte de visite, Vignettes and all other descriptions of portrait by Adolphus Wing, miniture painter at his commodious and well arranged studio at No 48 Piccadilly, entrance at 9 Albany Court-yard. Copying executed with the greatest care, and invalids attended at their own homes.
                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 17-10-08, 21:04.

Comment

Merry that's him surely, it says hes a miniature painter too,what's the TNA and how do i access it please?

sunny rosy

Comment

The TNA is The National Archives.

The National Archives of the United Kingdom

I put his name in the search box on the right and turned up that info. I hadn't realised he had branched out into photography, so when I saw his name was on the back of a photo I thought they meant the photo might be of him, but once I saw he also took photos, I presumed the back of the photo just had an advertisement for his studio on it (and the photo is of an unknown person)

Comment

Nerry google Photographer Adolphus Wing I found a biography of him, he had 11 children in all. What a surprise I had on the last few lines. I'll see if I can find the self portrait.

rosy

Comment

Oooh yes, well done and his full name at last too! lol

Comment

Your local main library may have some books listing Victorian artists with details of their works, where they were exhibited, etc. Mine does - they're reference only and probably would be at your library too so make sure you have some time free to spend looking at them when you go.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh Merry sorry you have a new name!!!! LOL and Kite thanks for that will go to the library and take a look.

rosy

Comment

Working...
                              X