Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parish Records 'film' - what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish Records 'film' - what to look for?

Advice please - I'm going to view my very first LDS 'film' of Parish Records for Hartley Westpall, Hants for a marriage in 1734. What should I be looking out for, eg other info that might be on the film?

It occurs to me that there may be ways of looking backwards once I comfirm the details, such as the bride and grooms parents' details, but I've never done this before and know I'm going to be slightly overcome by technophobia :o, so wanted to be prepared.

I'm going this afternoon, but the film will be there for a month, so if I don't catch your answers today, I guess I could go and view it again, couldn't I?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Bee

Because I am such a meanie, when I order a film, I extract every possible entry for the same surname, just in case it comes in useful later on and it nearly always does.

There is nothing more annoying than having to order the same film twice because you didn't think to extract all the first time!

OC

Comment

It depends which film you've ordered. A very small parish may have all baptisms, marriages and burials on the same film, but a larger one may only have marriages, and you'll need to order another film for baptisms.

In addition to marriages the film may have the register of banns - that probably won't have any different details from the marriage entry, apart from the dates when the banns were read, but it's always worth checking.

If the marriage was by licence, the marriage bond may have extra information, but they aren't usually on the LDS films together with the PRs.

And I agree with OC - I've also started extracting all entries for the surname I'm looking for, and sorting them into families afterwards.

Comment

I'd better take lots of paper then, OC. The machine they have for copying images is bust, so if I can't read any of the writing I won't be able to post it here for deciphering. :(

I'll let you know how I get on - I am seriously rather phobic about technology I'm not familiar with - anxious, fast pulse, feeling nauseous, so it's a big step for me. I know I'll be fine next time, so I expect I'll have to view it a couple of times.

Thanks for the advice.

Bee.
        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Viewing it several times is the only way. Just before closing time, you discover that the surname which crops up on every page IS related, and you haven't written it down.

And you discover you have been reading Worsfold as Broomfield.

If you start to get nervous, just picture the person at the next machine sitting there absolutely naked. EVERYBODY was once a beginner and most of us have made silly mistakes.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It's not difficult, Bee.

Once the film is in the reader, you just wind it on by hand (or have a forward and rewind button if it's one of the modern readers).

My little LDS centre here in Italy doesn't have a photocopier, so I have to write down everything by hand, then type it up when I get home.

Comment

Where do you find the LDS centres?

Comment

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

on this page there's a "find a family history centre" box.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I always write down by hand as my little LDS centre cannot photocopy straight from the reader - you have to rewind, take the film out and wait for the one machine that WILL photocopy.

Don't try to make family groups as you go, you can do that in yoiur own time at home, just concentrate on getting the stuff transcribed. If you can't read something, ask the bloke next to you, people like to help.

One tip..keep a very careful note of where you got up to on the film. Will save you hours of wondering if you did that bit or not!

Don't be nervous, it isn't in the least hi-tech! The machine I usually have has a broken handle and it has to wound on like an old fashioned sewing machine, by hand on the film wheel!

OC

Comment

I have yet to visit a FHC - does anyone know if they have a policy about using digital cameras? I'd think those would provide better image quality than a photocopier as well as letting you enlarge hard to read bits.

Thanks -

Tim
                    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

I don't know if they do Tim, but I think if you give them a ring & ask first they will let you know.

I am probably going to my nearest LDS again soon, I will ask them then because I would like to know the answer to that as well !

Joanie

Comment

Mine does let you use a digital camera, although taking a picture of what's on the screen produces a slightly convex image.

Comment

Tim,

Ask what facilities they have for copying before you go. At Hyde Park here and lodon it's a scan and hard copy on paper or now they can scan digitally and put it onto a USB key dongle thingy for you.

Bee, when I went last Sat with Anne there was a couple sitting at a funny angle at the machine, I thought it was due to room until I realised they didn't know they could turn the reel round to view it. :o

Eveyone is new once, so don't worry and I hope you find loads of nice things!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, advice and encouragement. As you can see, I survived!

The chap in charge loaded it for me, got it to the right bits, and showed me how it worked. When I first looked at the images I thought I'd never be able to read it - I think it was just unlucky that the first images were from the early 1600's, and very scrawly. And some were upside down, but eventually I asked and someone showed me how to turn the film around.

So I did slowly work it out, but it wasn't as straightforward as I'd expected - the pages didn't seem to run chronologically, some places it was just births, or burials, and some were mixed in together.

And the thing I went to look into was disappointing - I wanted to view the marriage of my furthest-back ancestors' marriage, hoping to find out about their parents. But it showed nothing except the bride and grooms names and what parishes they were from! Darn it!

But I will go back and see what other sense I can make of it all.

Bee.
                            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Bee

Marriages before 1837 only give bride and groom's names, status (ie single or widowed) and the witnesses, though they are often family members.

I've found when looking at films that if you check in advance you can see if it has baptisms and marriages and burials in sequence or mixed together. Often one film has the information for several nearby parishes.

I always check the lot and extract every name I think might be relevant.

Anyway now you've done it once you will feel an old hand next time you go.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You can look up the films in the catalogue here, to see what's on each film:

FamilySearch.org - Catalogue

Click on Place to search for the name of the parish, then click on church records.

Choose the register you want, then click on View Film Notes to see full details of what's on each film.
                                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-10-08, 18:58.

Comment

Oh dear, you got a mixed entries register! These can be very confusing. Sometimes it is easier to start the film at the beginning and wind through, making careful note of the page headings.

Tim

My centre does allow digital cameras. It is a nice touch though, if you offer a small donation, as they lose the photocopier revenue by allowing you to use your camera. (As they do if you copy out by hand of course).

What DOES make me really mad, is people using digital cameras surreptitiously. What cheapskates!

(Any donations are used exclusively for the family history centre and the money is completely separate from church works or religion)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Oh dear, you got a mixed entries register! These can be very confusing. Sometimes it is easier to start the film at the beginning and wind through, making careful note of the page headings.

OC

OC I had one of those last Saturday when I went with Peppie! wish I'd had that advice - I was very confused at first Soon got used to it and found lots of information. I can't wait for another visit!! Just hope the fire alarms don't go off next time!

Comment

Oh dear mine are nearly always mixed entries registers! :o

I must be plain unlucky then, lol!

:D

Joanie

Comment

I think a lot of the earlier registers were mixed entry, especially for smaller parishes.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X