Have birth cert but need help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have birth cert but need help please

Birth cert arrived he was born March 1910 and his mother was unmarried. In the when and where born and also residence of informant which is the mother she gives two addresses No. 2 Horndean Hill, London and
    Portsmouth Rd. Catherington
    Is it possible to find who is at the London address on the 1901 census
    Also without having to wait for the 1911 census how do I find out who is mother was other than Nellie Waters a cook in Waterlooville.
    The only Nellie Waters in Hampshire in 1901 is 4 years old so doubtful it is her

You can do an address search on the 1901 census site:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

But putting in Horndean and London doesn't come up with anything; I'll see if I can find out where exactly it is / was.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Wait - it looks as though there is a Horndean Hill in Catherington! That can't be a coincidence, can it? Are you sure it is two addresses on the cert and not just one long one? What exactly does it say?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Are you sure it says "Horndean Hill, London"?

I've just tried googling, and I can only find a Horndean Hill in Catherington, Hampshire.

Comment

There is a London Rd in Catherington, so maybe it was supposed to show that Horndean Hill was on both London Rd and Portsmouth Rd?
          KiteRunner

Comment

If you look at the map, London Road becomes Portsmouth Road at Horndean, so it probably isn't two addresses, but means "Horndean Hill, London & Portsmouth Road, Catherington".

Comment

There is a Horndean Hill showing up in the 1891 census on FMP - but trying to find the equivalent entries in 1901 it appears that they may have been listed just as Horndean, Catherington.
              Elaine

Comment

As for finding the mother - if she was a cook she was probably in domestic service somewhere, not necessarily anywhere near where she was born.

And she could have been called Nellie, Nelly, Nell, or Helen, Ellen, Eleanor, Elinor, Elena or variants.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry..was called away..
                  You are right it does say No2 Horndean Hill, London and Portsmouth Rd, Catherington...it was my mistake in thinking that these were two different places.
                  She was in service and became pregnant...it is believed that the son was brought up or unofficially adopted by a neighbour.
                  It may be more difficult to find Nellie than her son it was only recently that I discoverred that the name he used was not the one his mother gave him

Comment

If you don't want to wait for the 1911 census, it might be worth looking for a street directory (e.g. Kelly's Directory or similar) from around that date to see if it says who was living at 2 Horndean Hill, though of course that will only list the head of household.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you KR, I had not thought about the electoral roll, it may be that she had gone home and the electoral roll may list her father as the head.......hopefully

Comment

Working...
                      X