Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my computer is running slow and slow to start up,i have defragged and got my temp fil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my computer is running slow and slow to start up,i have defragged and got my temp fil

want to now do my cookies,i know if i do i will have to sign in everywhere :(but im trying everything my computer is only 3 years ols and its xp,can anyone help me pease brenda xxx

just seen dancing shelia,s thread and i have done it thankyou brenda xxx
    Last edited by Guest; 16-10-08, 14:44.

Seems unlikely that it would be the cookies causing it to start up slowly, doesn't it? Sorry I don't know how to delete them on XP, though someone else is sure to come along who does.

Have you had a look at the Task Manager to see what programs you have running, Bren?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

kite how do i do that please brenda xxx

Comment

Bren, try look at this webpage - My computer is running slow what steps can I do to fix it?
        It might have some useful pointers for you.
        Tracy

Comment

If you right-click on the task bar (at the bottom of the screen) one of the options should be "Show Task Manager".
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Brenda my computer takes about 7 and half minutes to start, I think AVG 8 and Windows Defender take a long time to load

Comment

I had AVG and Windows Defender and that slowed my PC up. In the end I uninstalled Windows Defender as AVG does exactly the same job, and you don't really need them both. PC was a lot faster after that.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Windows defender is a REALLY problematic program if you are using any anti-virus program.
                Can use up 90% of your processing power whiile it does a 'scan' in the background.

I advise that you uninstall it

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

How to delete cookie files in Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7
                  dont know if this will help Bren

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                    Hi Brenda my computer takes about 7 and half minutes to start, I think AVG 8 and Windows Defender take a long time to load
                    james i dont know what im on lol

its still doing it even though i have defragged got rid of my cookies,and temp files.i have 2 email addresses i have outlook as i prefer that but i also have bt yahoo,do you think its that.when i turn my computer on i have to wait till it load everything even msn.how do i stop that happening so i can click when i want them and not wait for them to load and then knock them off?brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                      Windows defender is a REALLY problematic program if you are using any anti-virus program.
                      Can use up 90% of your processing power whiile it does a 'scan' in the background.

I advise that you uninstall it
                      how do i know if i have windows defender.?how do i scan disk i know i do it from the bottom start button but what do i type in i tried scandisk and it would not do it?you must think im thick:o lol brenda xxx
                      Last edited by Guest; 17-10-08, 07:52.

Comment

How do you uninstall Windows defender in Vista Trevor? I have looked in "uninstall programs" but can't find it listed, Many thanks Ann

PS: sorry to butt in on your thread Bren. See you aren't alone in not knowing!!!

Comment

I put defender in the search box.

When it found it, it said it was turned off. Don't remember how I turned it off but surely that has the same effect as uninstalling it.

Probably once you track it down it will give you the option of turning it off.

Comment

I have just found this by googling (is that a word?)
                            Disable Windows Defender Service in Windows Server 2008 or Vista :: groovyPost.com

Comment

Bren, I don't think you need to run "scan disk" unless you think your computer may have a hardware problem with the disk, but if it's like on previous versions of Windows, you would get to it via All Programs - Accessories - System Tools.

But I don't think you will need to run that anyway.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by banana View Post
                                How do you uninstall Windows defender in Vista Trevor? I have looked in "uninstall programs" but can't find it listed, Many thanks Ann

PS: sorry to butt in on your thread Bren. See you aren't alone in not knowing!!!
                                thats ok ann hope you get sorted too join the club lol brenda xxx

Comment

Things that will slow down your system [Part One] Processor and RAM installed
                                  First check what you have installed
                                  On your desktop, click your rightmouse button on the My Computer icon and select PropertiesBottom right of window will then show you the processer, RAM and operating system on your PC
                                  1. Not enough RAM installed to run multiple programs at once.
                                  XP users should have a minimum of 500MB
                                  Vista users need minimum of 1GB
                                  You will not need more unless your are using programmes that use a lot of images and video.
                                  2. Too slow a processor
                                  XP needs 1Ghz, Vista really needs 1.5Ghz to run 'happily'
                                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 17-10-08, 21:56.

Researching:
                                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

[Part 2] Hard drive storage space
                                    Not enough space left on hard drive
                                    For a PC to work, it not only uses the RAM memory, but also 'swaps' data from RAM to the hard disk while it is waiting to use it [Known as the Page File]
                                    If the disk has less than 15% free space, this process is seriously slowed down and you need to free up space by copying to CD's and then deleting files that you are just holding on your PC, but do not really use.
                                    To check your space
                                    Open My computer
                                    Move your mouse pointer over the C:\ drive icon, a pop-up will inform you.

Defragmentation of a disk
                                    To be frankly honest, on a modern PC (less than 6 years old), defragmentation makes minimal difference

Researching:

Comment

[Part 3] 1. Non-required processes loading at start-up
                                      By processes I mean all these small programs that load themselves on start-up.
                                      From your Start button, select RUN and enter MSCONFIG
                                      Warning some of these programs MUST run at start up, so do not stop them all!
                                      Select the tab on the dialog box that says Startup
                                      remove ticks from programs such as Messenger, QuickTime, RealMedia or the utility application programs you may have installed like search bars etc, or printer/scanner applications.
                                      These load themselves 'in case' you need them, to save time in opening from the application launcher when you actually do select them for use. (The section header Command tells you where they are running from).
                                      This stops them loading at start-up on the next boot of the PC, if you need to reactivate them, just go back into MSCONFIG and put the tick back

If you are not sure what the program is, then do a Google search to find out about it and then decide

2. a Memory hungry process running at that time

What processes are running when my system slows?
                                      Right click on your taskbar at the bottom of the screen
                                      select Task Manager to see the processes that are running
                                      Click on the CPU title to put them in order of Processor usage
                                      If it is using more than 60% then it is suspect as 'hogging' and slowing the thinking speed of your PC. Ignore System Idle, as this is part of the operating system.
                                      Use Google to do a search for information about the file name
                                      Decide if you know the programme and want to close it, click on End Process

Researching:

Comment

The file that runs Defender is MSASCui.exe
                                        So just do a file search for that file on your PC and you will find the directory it is in.....if you have it on your PC.
                                        Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                        I put defender in the search box.

When it found it, it said it was turned off. Don't remember how I turned it off but surely that has the same effect as uninstalling it.

Probably once you track it down it will give you the option of turning it off.

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X