Ancestry AUS query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry AUS query

I am looking at my options with regard to renewal of Ancestry. I have looked at the AUS site, and according to my calculations, I can get access to the UK Heritage part for around £55.

Please could someone who uses it let me know if it contains pre-1837 information? This is what I need from my subscription, so there would be no point if it doesn't.

Thanks
    Tracy

Hi Tracy, just did a quick look - I can access Yorkshire parish and probate records for 1800, England and Wales Marriages 1538-1940 and Midlothian (Edinburgh), Scotland: Parish and Probate Records so it looks like you can get what you want. From what I can see I get access to anything that is on .co.uk but I've had my sub for a while so maybe I still get the advanced package not the new revised basic one.
    Kit

Comment

The Parish and Probate stuff is the same as you get with the UK subscription. Some parishes (e.g. in Yorkshire) are quite well covered, but some are very poor.

You won't get any Australian BMDs on Ancestry, if that's what you were wondering - each State holds its own BMD information, and not all of them are online.

The Aus. records are mainly passenger lists for convicts and free settlers, and electoral rolls.

Comment

Thanks Kit. I'll might just try it out ;)

Thanks Mary. I'm actually trying to find a way round paying the rediculous prices they want to charge me lol
        If it has all the UK stuff, I might just sign up to it. I have some rellies in Oz anyway and always wanted to look them up, so maybe now's my chance.
        Tracy

Comment

I've been using it for several months - there was a period when it wouldn't let me access Pallot's or the Parish and Probate records, but they're back now. The English censuses and BMDs have always been accessible. The only thing I haven't managed to access, if I remember rightly, is Irish records, but I'm not sure if they're available with the UK sub either.

Comment

They'll give you a 14-day free trial even if you've already been a subscriber to the UK site, which should give you plenty of time to see which records you can access.

Comment

I just found the trial, so I've signed up. If it's not what I want, I can always cancel.

Thanks
              Tracy

Comment

What I think may be missing is what they call "new content" - any new databases that come out.

Comment

Working...
                X