Isabella Purkiss help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isabella Purkiss help please

My g-g-uncle Henry Bowman BRISTOW married twice, the second time to an Isabel(la) Purkis(s), 4th June 1879 at Holy Trinity Church, Sydney, NSW. On the marriage certificate Isabel gave her details as: Isabel Purkiss, Spinster, birthplace London, England, age full, residence Fort Street, Sydney, father Arthur Purkiss, tea merchant, mother Martha Chamberlain. Two of the witnesses were relatives of the bridegroom and the other was an R Eames who we think was a friend of the groom.

Isabel's gravestone says she died 20th July 1935 age 94, and there is a death reg on the online NSW indexes for Isabel Bristow 1935, Chatswood district, parents' names Samuel and Martha.

I did some digging around before I was given the info from the marriage cert, and this is the family I had come up with:

1841 West Street(?), Poole, Dorset
    John Purkis 67 Horse Keeper N
    Mary Purkis 63 N
    Martha Purkis 26 N
    Isabella Purkis 6 months Y

1851 West Shore, Poole, Dorset
    Martha Purkis Head U 35 Annuitant Hants Portsea
    Isabella S Do Daur 10 Dorset Poole
    Samuel Jno S Do Son 4 Scholar Dorset Poole
    Robert Slade Do Son 3 Do Do

1861 Church Crescent, Parkstone, Dorset
    Martha Purkis Head Un 46 From Dividends Hants Portsea
    Isabella Do Daur Un 20 Dorset Poole
    Samuel J Purkis Son 14 Scholar Do Do
    Robt Slade Do Son 13 Do Do Do

1871 Railway Terr, Feltham, Middlesex
    Martha Purkiss Head Widow 56 Annuitant Hampshire
    Isabel Purkiss Daur Unm 30 Dorset Poole

There is a submitted IGI entry for Martha Purkis born 4 Dec 1814 baptised 2 Feb 1815 Portsea, Hampshire, parents John and Mary. And a death reg Mar 1872 Staines district (which included Feltham) for Martha Purkiss age 58.

Robert Slade Purkiss certainly emigrated to Australia as he is listed on the electoral roll in 1925 at Moreton, Queensland, and also on the Index to Teachers in Queensland.

There is a Samuel Slade who married in Mar 1842 Portsea district and on the 1851 census there is a Samuel Slade age 36, Printer, born Hants Portsea with wife Catherine. There is a Samuel Slade death registered in Dec 1856. I'm wondering whether this was Isabel's father, but if he was then it seems a bit unlikely that he would be the father of the two boys as his marriage would have happened in between?

Sorry this is so long!

I haven't managed to find Isabel(la) on a passenger list going to Australia yet - I'm wondering whether she emigrated with brother Robert? Can anyone find either or both of them?

I'm inclined to think the Isabel on the censuses is the right one, especially as I haven't managed to find any trace of an Arthur Purkiss, tea merchant and Martha Chamberlain - what do you think? Is it the same Isabel and she just made up some parents for her marriage certificate to avoid saying she was illegitimate?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Kate try looking for Purkis/Perkis as well. My OH has some of them and while I haven't been very successful, nor tried very hard, there are a few in Western Aust. Try the online newspapers for Oz as well.

NLA Australian Newspapers beta
    Kit

Comment

Cannot see anything else I am afraid Kate. Have checked the passenger lists using various wildcards but nothing obvious coming up.
      Elaine

Comment

Had you spotted there are two more Slades living nearby in 1841 in West St, Poole?

Thomas 30 and James 25 both merchants, on the page before Martha and her family.

Comment

Ooh,no, I hadn't. I wonder whether they sold tea, and if they had a relative called Samuel? I forgot to say there was another child called Julia, who died, and she had Slade in her name too. Thanks everyone.
          KiteRunner

Comment

There seem to be quite a few Slades around in Poole on various censuses, but I haven't found a Samuel yet. But now I'm wondering whether whoever registered her death may just have used the name of Isabella's brother instead of her father.

As for "Arthur", I'm imagining a bad sitcom scene at Isabella's wedding where she was asked for her parents' names, and she said, "Martha....er..... ermmmm... Arthur, yes, that's it - my father's name was Arthur!" Though where the "Chamberlain" for her mother's maiden name came from I haven't figured out yet. Or is there an Arthur Slade somewhere...?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, a Purkis(s)!!!

My mum's maiden name was Purkis and I have a long line of them in Portsea!

I'm busy cooking at the minute as my niece gets married tomorrow and I have half the wedding party for lunch here on Saturday!

I don't recognise any of the names, which isn't surprising as there are lots of them in Hampshire/the New Forest etc.

I will return to this when I have time! :o (Also our 32nd wedding anniversary today, so we're rushed off our feet and 2 daughters and OHs arrive late this evening for wedding tomorrow).

Good luck KiteRunner!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hope it all goes well, Elizabeth. I'm sure my Purkisses will keep for a while, lol.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner -

I expect you have her birth

Isabel Purkis Dec 1840 Poole 8 76
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The name Purkis is on the Rufus Stone in the New Forest which marks the supposed spot where William Rufus (William II, son of William the Conqueror) was killed by an arrow in 1100.

Mr Purkis' cart was used to carry the king's body to Winchester where it was buried.

There are loads of Purkis' in Dorset and Hampshire.

There are also still a lot of Slades in this area today (sorry about that! lol)

Comment

Yes, got that thanks, Elizabeth, but I don't suppose her birth certificate will give a father's name as Purkiss was her mother's name.

Would there be any way of finding out when Robert Slade Purkiss died? He was born about 1847, and married (in England) in 1870, and he was in Queensland on the 1905 - 1925 electoral rolls, but the online Queensland death index only goes up to 1929 and I suppose he must have died after that? I'm just wondering whether it gives a father's name on his death registration, although his father might not be the same as Isabel's father anyway.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Funnily enough, what do you think comes up in lots of matches if you search for Slade "tea merchant" on Google, Merry?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

lol!! I just tried, to find out!!!

Comment

Not much help in this case, though.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

it may not be the same family but there are some with only 1 "s" in the cambs/suffolk area as well - they married into the bigmore family (my mums side). i dont have an isabella though. but it maybe worrth a look in that direction as well though.
                              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X