RAF uncle's war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF uncle's war

My uncle Denis Taylor (1920 Haslingden - 1995 Lewisham ) was a Lancaster bomber navigator during the second world war. At some stage his aircraft crashed and he was badly burnt and was then a patient at East Grinstead under Archibald McIndoe ( known as the Guinea Pig Club ). He was even mentioned in the book McIndoes Army.
    Sadly for several years now his wife (my aunt ) has suffered from dementure so can't rembember anything of his war record, that's if she ever knew the details.
    I now want to find out more about my uncle's war experiences but don't know where to even start. Has anyone any ideas as to where I can delve without it costing a lot of money.
    Ken.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Hi Ken

I have just sent off for my Grt Uncle's army war records from ww2 although it will take a few months - it is free to widows of army personnel otherwise £30. I don't know if it is the same for the RAF. Try this link

it helps if you have at least a service number or exact date of birth.

Good luck
    Last edited by Kaz in a Tizz; 16-10-08, 00:53. Reason: wrong url

Comment

See here under Personnel Records:

RAF - Contacts

My dad's RAF record came through after less than a week!

As you see, the application should be made by the next of kin and is free to the widow. Is she capable of signing her name? I think as she is still alive she should be entitled to the service record even if she wouldn't understand it now. Maybe you could phone them to explain the situation??

My OH applied for his father's army record on behalf of his father who is still alive (he doesn't have dementia but wouldn't have been able to compose a letter or write one, because of failing health). They took OH's word for it, which surprised me really.
      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-10-08, 11:02.

Comment

"My dad's RAF record came through after less than a week!"

Merry that is really quick - I had a reply from army saying they are 'inundated with requests at the moment'. So not hopeful it will be soon but should lay a family story to rest!

Comment

Ther might be something here, if you can work out which is the relevant record:
          The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Advanced Search

Combat Reports, Second World War (33693)

There are 125 Hits when I put in TAYLOR as surname - but I can't get D or Denis to bring up anything. That doesn't mean the right one isn't there (tho' it might), because there are several no-first-name/initial Hits in the list.
          If you know what rank(s) he held during WW2, then you may be able to find something interesting.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X