Royal Horse Guards (19th c)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Horse Guards (19th c)

As I mentioned on another thread, I've recently found that one of my ancestors was a private with the Royal Horse Guards (now part of the Household Cavalry). He served from 1828 to 1840.

I've just received his discharge records from TNA (Chelsea pensioners' series, WO 97). They give his attestation and discharge details, and say he only served in England, and that's about it.

Are there likely to be any more records at Kew about his army service?

Would the RHG have been a prestigious regiment at the time, or just a run-of-the mill outfit? Does anyone have any links to a history of the regiment in the first half of the 19th century? I've googled and looked at the Wiki, but I haven't found anything much, apart from a short entry in Wikipedia.

Cavalry regiments have always had more cachet than infantry regiments (it used to cost more to buy a commission in a cavalry regiment) if only because it was more prestigious to go about on a horse than on foot!

Comment

Yes, true. My man didn't come from a wealthy family; he was a maltster in civilian life, like his father, and an ag lab after his discharge. He was just a private - would it have been difficult to join the RHG as an ordinary soldier?

Comment

I'm sorry Mary, I don't know. I would have thought perhaps not, but could very easily be wrong! lol

Comment

An ag lab would be perfect for caring for & knowing about horses. The Guards Museum or National Army Museum could have some background info on the Regt.

Comment

There should be Muster Rolls at Kew for the regiment. These would enable you to follow where he was over his period of service. They should mention any disciplinary actions or any illness for example.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

That's interesting, thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
              X