Royal Marines 1861ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Marines 1861ish

Is it possible to obtain these records as it's so long ago?
    The 1861 census has my gg grandfather shore-based at East Stonehouse, Devon. I don't have number, just the regiment and his name, Henry Kerslake, so not too common.
    How would I go about getting a copy?
    Thanks
    Sam

My Great Grandfather was in the Royal Marines in 1857 when he married. I got Kevin Asplin to search for his records. Cost me about £20 I think. Lots of info found, which gave me his dob and pob.

I have Kevin Asplin's e-mail address if you want it.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh yes please, who is he?
      Many thanks
      Sam

Comment

I have sent you a PM with the details.

See Private Messages at top right of screen.
        Wendy

Comment

Have you checked to see whether they are available from the National Archives website.
          When and where was he born.
          Elaine

Comment

I got my ggg grandfather's Royal Marine records for 1790 - 1833 from Kevin Asplin as well. He was wonderful and a quarter of the price a TNA researcher quoted.

Comment

How does Kevin find them? Looking at the NA site, you need to know what division he was in...... arrghh....... All I know is I have a pic of my GGfather McCann in his Marines uniform. He was married once before he married my G Gran somehwere in the Belfast Area....... I don't where he was born and am waiting on the 1926 Irish census to find him his wife and kids...... arrghhh.... I thought I was only waiting till the 1921 census until I found out they didn't take that one in Ireland......:( I know something happened to him in the troubles and they moved back Just south between my nana and great aunts birth. He ended up being looked after in the old work/house/hospital as great nan couldn't do it.... and he used to shout alot! finding his record might help me along other lines rather than waiting another 9 yrs.......

Comment

Peppie, I didn't know my Great Grandfather's birth year or place. I only knew what ship he was on at the time of his marriage, but Kevin found him for me.

Send him the details that you have, you never know, he may well find him.
                Wendy

Comment

I only had a name and date of death and age from burial records. I also had his children's baptisms so new he was in RM. The kids were baptised in East Stonehouse.

He got the whole lot from that. He only does military researching so he knows exactly where to look. My fellow wasn't at TNA when my sister went and asked. I also got his correct age and place of birth and trips he took his family on back to his birthplace.

I got a parcel of copies of the originals. It weighed over a kilo.

Comment

This may not be everything, but these records are available to buy through the TNA:

These are three different people by the look of it:

ADM 157/212/164 Folios 164-167. Henry Kerslake, born Devon. Attestation papers to serve in the Royal Marines at Plymouth 1861 (when aged 19). Discharged 1870 as an Invalid. 1861-1870

ADM 157/293/173 Folios 173-178. Henry Kerslake, born Devon. Attestation papers to serve in the Royal Marines at Plymouth 1867 (when aged 20). Discharged 1879 as Worthless and incorrigible. Joined from Devon Militia. 1867-1879

ADM 157/529/269 Folios 269-275. Henry Kerslake, born Middlesex. Attestation papers to serve in the Royal Marines at Plymouth 1874 (when aged 18). Discharged 1875 as Run.

Comment

I can't see him in 1861 :o

Comment

Thank you Merry, the info you gave me I found on A2A then I couldn't find it again to show my dad, it's so annoying when the happens.
                        On 1861 He's "H Kerslake" and they have him as 19yrs - born Loxbear Devon. The age is wrong but I'm sure it's him, his marriage cert in East Stonehouse 1868 has him as a Royal Marine.

Merry please tell me what processyou went through to get that info, I still cannot get at it.
                        Thank you
                        Sam
                        Last edited by Smiley Sammy; 15-10-08, 23:45.

Comment

I'd email Kevin and tell him what you have and what you want. He'll tell you how easy (or not) that will be, and give you a price.

He gave me what I really wanted to know (place of birth) without any cost, but I got greedy and wanted the lot LOL. It cost me 55 pounds, but I got every bit of paper with anything about him. Kevin also gave me lots of extra info about the places my fellow went.
                          TNA said it would be upwards of 200 pounds and weren't sure what I'd get.

Comment

Will do, thank you

Comment

All done, I do hope something can be found, I'm all excited now....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X